Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop 8e Even After Repair-install!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chuck Harding

Chuck Harding

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:32 PM

This one has me really scratching my head. :thumbsup:
Here's the problem:
I had been running a trial version of Norton SystemWorks 2008 (Including GoBack2008)
which had expired. I had already paid for an update to the Norton AV 2006 that was
running on another computer so I decided to remove the SW2008 and reinstall
the AV 2006 (3 machine license). When I did so it complained about there already being
Norton products on the machine and to download and run the Norton S/W removal tool.
I did that and upon rebooting after running the tool got a BSOD with stop code 8e,
no device driver listed. I went through the entire gamut of things to do when that
happens, including a repair-install and the Stop 8e would keep happening. Safe mode
works as well as safe mode does, you just can't do much. I've removed my video driver
and tools, ran MemTest86+ overnnight with no errors, reduced the overclock back to
the CPU factory specs, everything I could find. The location specified (parameter 2
in the BSOD display) is consistantly 0x80538F89, which should be an address in the culpret.
So herein attached are my minidumps in zipped format. Being stuck with only being able to
run in safe mode keeps me from being able to do the analysis myself, so I appreciate the
help I get here.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:48 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315335

did you try any of that

#3 TheBrit

TheBrit

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:47 AM

get rid of Norton fully (all versions) and use a free av program like avg or avast.

You will have to use the removal tools here probably, although they will not remove all references.

Norton is now considered as bloatware and causes problems with some system hardware configurations.

Do you have a conexant based modem in your system?

#4 Chuck Harding

Chuck Harding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:17 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315335

did you try any of that

Yes, I did. No help.

#5 Chuck Harding

Chuck Harding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:18 AM

get rid of Norton fully (all versions) and use a free av program like avg or avast.

You will have to use the removal tools here probably, although they will not remove all references.

Norton is now considered as bloatware and causes problems with some system hardware configurations.

Do you have a conexant based modem in your system?

Yes, but it was working just fine before I started my adventures
in NortonLand. Why do you ask?

#6 TheBrit

TheBrit

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:43 AM

I *remember* a problem with Norton and conexant from Norton 2004 onwards. If I remember correctly there is a driver conflict.

My advice remains the same, get rid of Norton and install avg or avast as free alternatives. They will do just as good a job for less system resources. If you feel you must pay, look to nod32 or Kasperskey.

#7 peterdiva

peterdiva

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:22 AM

Norton does look to be gone. The most recent crashes are caused by the modem drivers (see below). See if you can update them. If not, uninstall/reinstall.

The earlier crashes look to be caused by the video card drivers. One of the drivers was at a different date. Reinstalling them may fix the problem.

BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, 80538f89, f56e7754, 0}
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for HCF_MSFT.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for HCF_MSFT.sys
Probably caused by : mdmxsdk.sys ( mdmxsdk+1243 )

f5a41000 f5a436a0 mdmxsdk mdmxsdk.sys Fri Oct 18 09:42:25 2002 (3DAF58F1)
f6fea000 f70c78c0 HCF_MSFT HCF_MSFT.sys Fri Jun 08 16:01:44 2001 (3B207858)

#8 ///

///

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:13 PM

norton is good at detecting malware and free av programs doesn't work well and detect almost nothing :thumbsup: Anyways did you try booting from the drive? I have Norton and it didn't cause any problems on my computer if no ones helping go to a computer expert or circuit city or wherever you got your computer from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users