Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need A New Video Card

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 elite98

elite98

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:53 PM

So I seriously need to update my Nvidia GeForce FX5500 256MB PCI Graphics card but don't know what to get or what my computer can use. I want to play newer games and I'm pretty sure the fx5500 can't handle them. For example, I just put in two 1GB Ram sticks in and tried Need For Speed Prostreet demo and the game is extremely slow, jerky and doesn't respond to controls very quickly. I know for sure it isn't the ram as I have more than enough and it shouldn't be my processor and my graphics card is old, outdated and pretty much does suck so any recommendations anyone?

Thanks for any who help out.

Specs:

MOBO: 650M02-G-6L
RAM: Two 1GB sticks of PQI Power series
Current Video Card: 3D Fuzion Nvidia GeForce FX 5500
Processor: 2.5 GHz Pentium 4

Link To Mobo:
http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/motherbo...nn/650M02-G-6L/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:39 PM

You say you are running a PCI video card, but your MOBO
shows to have an AGP slot so first are you sure it's PCI?

If it is PCI I would definitely switch to an AGP card and for gaming
I would say if it's in your budget go with the 7800GS.

The minimum specs for that game are 2.8 processor and
128 AGP or PCI-E video.(nvidia 5950 or better)

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:25 PM

If you dont have agp then you kind of out of luck because the FX5500 was one of the last PCI cards. You can get a VF700 and overclock it i got mine up to 322/451 but in order to play newer games a new mobo might be something to look at. All the good graphic cards are now PCIeX16 and most people who game are running a Core 2 duo processor. Even if you could update your card and get agp the processor is still really slow and games still arnt going to preform well.

I have a 2.8ghz Pentium 4 prescott, 2 gigs of ram, and an FX5500 OC to 322/451 (stock is roughly 270/400) and counter strike is the only thing that will play at high frame rates with a decient resolution. The newest game i play with this setup is Team Fortress 2 and i can only get about 30-40 fps on 800X600 resolution and if i didnt overclock my card i would have to play in 640X480.

Edited by Lucky23, 25 March 2008 - 11:27 PM.

Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:37 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102730

I was suprised to find this card in an agp, however with that old a computer and not wanting to throwing so much money at it I would probably just go for

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814161032
decent card put out to compete with the 7600's and not too power hungry

the 5500's are going for 35-40 bucks now, mine wasn't worth that 2 years ago
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 elite98

elite98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:01 PM

Yeah..well I got the card at walmart when I was more unexperienced than I am now and got the PCI version for two reasons which are it was the cheapest they had and they didn't have an agp card (which at the time I didn't know it was better)..I feel pretty stupid on the matter especually since I can not take it back and get a refund because it sucks and I got ripped off ($85..yeah sad.)

I have 3 PCI slots and the AGP which goes up to 4x.

I actually tried to OC this card using RV Tuner(I believe it was) But everytime I tried to raise the memory the program froze so I just rose the first setting to GPU setting to 309 so it ran 309/405 (stock is 270/405 which is where it is now) and then it froze my entire computer one day and I couldn't start up my computer(whenever the nvidia settings came on(noted by a change of brightness on the screen)) it froze. After taking it out, unistalling the drivers, reinserting the card and reinstalling the drivers it worked again.

I like the looks of that HIS Hightech H165PRQ512AN-R Radeon X1650PRO 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card because by looks it doesn't look like it may run that hot compared to some of the other ones..some of them run really warm..too warm for my liking (60-80*C) but with that one if I were to buy Cyrus would I have to run that on low settings? I know I need to upgrade the CPU but I'll probably get to that. I need to check my power supply though..I surely hope it isn't a 250W because this card sounds like it needs higher(according to reviews) Running Crysis on low wouldn't be a horriable thing as I'm not getting that game(but then again who knows) but if it'll run that game on low/medium it should run most games I would believe

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:16 PM

for crysis on medium settings you need a very fast amd64 single core, but really a decent dual core w/ 2Ghz per core
amd64x2 or coreduo's

pentium 4's are too lame, even the dual core ones

and even a better card than what agp offers
Chewy

#7 elite98

elite98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:52 PM

Yeah..that was a pretty stupid question..should have known better on that one..What should I expect with this card though? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA

What would I have to worry about? Pretty much could I play near recent games fairly well?

(EDIT)

My power supply is the ISO-300..which is a 300 watt power supply. Should I have to worry with that graphics card if I were to choose it from above? If it plays more modern games I'll be sure to get it because it looks like its got adequate cooling. I'd like to get one that sounds less prone to overheating and one with better reviews but I'll go with this one if I don't have to worry much..thats the only thing keeping me away from this one is the mixed reviews on it..makes me a little uneasy is all

Also, I tried to overclock my card some with power strip (NOT riva tuner like previously mentioned) and whenever I rose the memory and tried to apply it the program froze

Edited by elite98, 26 March 2008 - 05:20 PM.

#8 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:22 AM

I have 3 PCI slots and the AGP which goes up to 4x.

I actually tried to OC this card using RV Tuner(I believe it was) But everytime I tried to raise the memory the program froze so I just rose the first setting to GPU setting to 309 so it ran 309/405 (stock is 270/405 which is where it is now) and then it froze my entire computer one day and I couldn't start up my computer(whenever the nvidia settings came on(noted by a change of brightness on the screen)) it froze. After taking it out, unistalling the drivers, reinserting the card and reinstalling the drivers it worked again.

First Dont click the box to apply Overclock settings at windows start up in rivatuner. If you did do this try to undo that setting. You wouldnt want to do this until you knew what the card would run stable at the applied overclock speeds. I personally would just let the card run at stock clocks and then set my overclock setting, which i had saved in rivatuner, when i was going to go into a game.

Its not the memory thats making the card freeze its the core/GPU clock. When you overclock the GPU too high it will get too hot and will make the computer freeze that why you would have to put a bigger heatsink on the GPU to overclock it further because with the bigger heatsink the temps will be lower. The cooler the GPU the higher you will be able to overclock it. When you overclock the memory too high you will get artifacts. Download a program called ATI TOOL. Then overclock you card in rivatuner and apply setting. Then close rivatuner and open Atitool. You will see a button on the program called "scan for artifacts." Just keep overclocking you memory 5-10mhz at a time and then do an artifact scan in atitool. If after 20 minutes, roughly, there are no green artifacts then the card will be considered stable. When the card had the stock heatsink on it i personly was only able to get the GPU up to 300 and memory up to 440mhz.

The card i had was a BFG FX5500 and my card had a very little square heat sink with a very small fan. Looks like the card in link below so if your card has a heatsink like this on it then dont expect to get much more over 300mhz on the GPU.

FX 5500

Anyway like i said try down clocking the core to 300mhz and then you should be able to get the memory up to 430-440mhz.

Also since you have AGP you still might want to overclock it in the future so i would just practice on the 5500 for the time being that way you dont mess up your new card.
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#9 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:42 AM

Given that you have
  • 300w psu
  • AGP 4x slot max
  • Socket 478
you are replacing so many parts to turn this into a gaming system, that you are better off just building a new machine from scratch.

Dont fall into the trap of trying to extend the life of a system too far. You'll spend more in the long run.

Just my 2 cents.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#10 elite98

elite98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:16 AM

Given that you have

• 300w psu
  • AGP 4x slot max
  • Socket 478
you are replacing so many parts to turn this into a gaming system, that you are better off just building a new machine from scratch.

Dont fall into the trap of trying to extend the life of a system too far. You'll spend more in the long run.

Just my 2 cents.

Billy3

That does make sense but I think I might get a graphics card and call it good just because I spent $70 or so on ram and don't want that wasted so I am probably going to sell this card on ebay and buy one of these (that is if these are any good) I just hope these don't need higher power supplies so I don't have to bother with that too..I do know If I get a fan less card I'll by a pci fan of some sort to help cool it as 60-70*C seems to warm for my liking.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130076
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814141026
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814121064
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130100

My current card has trouble running Need for Speed Most Wanted Black Edition on mediumish settings (800x600 res, some things halfway, others off) and I'd like to play this game without slow framerates (I'm getting 16-25ish by using fraps depending on where I'm at) Are any of those cards listed any good..what would I expect with newer games (up until 2007 sounds good) as I understand these newer games need a very good and expensive computer to run and I'm not going to bother with those games? I'd like to run NFS Pro Street but my processor isn't powerful enough. Maybe get Oblivion, not sure yet because I'm not a fan of Morrowind yet (which has to be ran at medium setting which is weird imo)

Thanks for helping someone who isn't all there in the head on this topic (I'm learning though so thats all that matters)

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:51 AM

I just hope these don't need higher power supplies so I don't have to bother with that too..

You should save your money and wait for a new system

A better video card will require more power and make more heat that you will have to get rid of.
Chewy

#12 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:04 PM

I agree with chewy if you can wait and save for a new system then i would just do that. Doing upgrades to something that already out of date doesnt help as much as yo would think and the money you spent could of bought you new parts for a new system.

#13 elite98

elite98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:45 PM

I know I should just wait and make a system from scratch so I know it can handle newer games but I won't have the money to do that anytime soon, this is the best I can do that'll get me by for the time being. I won't have $1,500+ to actually make a computer anytime soon so this will keep me busy for the time being.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130100
With the rebate this is priced nicely..what would this require? A 400W power supply?
The clocks are slower on this card but it has more memory (512MB)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130076
More expensive (also with rebate) than the first and also has lower memory(256MB) but faster clock speeds than the first

Which would be the better choice and how would they run? Better yet, are these two cards any good for my needs? I know they would be light and day better than my FX 5500. For some reason I would rather have a Nvidia brand card than ATI..unless of course ATI is better for what I want to try and achieve with my system and partially newer recent games..it just seems ATI cards have more problems than the Nvidia cards do..atleast with drivers.

For power supplies would I just have to make sure its "ATX 12V" and says "20 Pin" and 400W+ power supply because I'm sure I'd have to upgrade my 300W ISO-300 but I'll try it first and hopefully get lucky. Or does this run the chance of frying something?

And would I have to worry about it having memory that is GDDR2? Or is Video card memory different than regular memory?
I apologize for all of the questions but I don't want to get something crappy and waste money and I'm not completely sure I what I'm doing so I hope everyone understands. Much gratitude goes to all who have and continue to help me.

(Edit, added info)

Would I be better off getting the card with the slower clock speed but higher Ram (512MB instead of the 256MB one) being my AGP slot goes up to a max of 4x? I say that because I could probably use all of the Ram on the card but not use the full clock speeds, right, or am is my idea here wrong? Just thought of iit and thought I'd post that.

Edited by elite98, 28 March 2008 - 03:43 PM.

#14 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:18 PM

My recommendation is for the 7600GS and funds permitting get a 500W
power supply. The power supply can be moved to the new box when you
get around to building it, but by then you will probably be looking at PCI-E
video cards. Your current setup recommends 310w PSU.

You could do with a 400w, but I'm looking at your future build.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#15 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:01 AM

Just to let you know i built my new system and after all the rebates it cost me $600 max. You dont have to spend 1500 on a system, you can still have a fast midrange gaming comp for 500-600.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users