Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Is Running Slow

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rich F

Rich F

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:36 PM

Hello,
frustrated
I am a newbie to bc.com and hope someone can help me with an ongoing freezing issue with my Dell Latitude D630 laptop. I have run various anti-virus, anti-spyware and registry cleanup programs but the issue continues and I am becoming frustrated as I have already reformatted the hard drive and re-installed windows once and I rreally don't want to go through that again. In looking at my event logs I consistently get an Event ID 7000 "The SDDMI2 service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified." error and I am really not sure if this is what is causing my performance issues. In any case my system will freeze or run really slowly every hour or so for about ten minutes and it doesn't matter if I am connected to the internet or not. I think I have said enough to get started. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:56 PM

Related post worth reading: http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums...essage.id=51169

Louis

#3 ///

///

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:51 PM

Too many programs and background programs while having a small RAM and weak CPU is usually the problem kill of unneeded background programs upgrade RAM CPU if you need. I went to giveawayoftheday today and installed the program that could be useful. Be more specific of your system :thumbsup: What do you have on your computer?

#4 Rich F

Rich F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:18 PM

To be more specific my system has

1.79 Ghz, .99 GB of RAM
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo CPU
T7100 @ 1.80Ghz
7200 RPM 120 GB SATA Hard Drive

and has the following programs installed:

Adobe Flash Player ActiveX
Adobe Flash Player Plugin
Adobe Reader 8.1.2
Apple Mobile Device Support
Apple Software Update
Bluetooth Stack for Windows by Toshiba
Bonjour
Broadcom Gigabit Intergrated Controller
Broadcom TPM Driver Installer
Conexant HDA D330 MDC v.92 Modem
Confidence Online™ Enterprise Edition
Dell Resource CD
Dell Touchpad
Dell Wireless WLAN Card
Digital Line Detect
DirectShow Dump
DivX Media Codec 4.1.0
Embassy Trust Suite by Wave Systems
High Definition Audio Driver Package - KB835221
HijackThis 2.0.2
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver
iTunes
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
Java™ 6 Update 5
LiveUpdate 3.3 (Symantec Corporation)
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB928366)
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1
Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007
Micosoft Silverlight
Mozilla Firefox (2.0.0.12)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181)
OMCI
OZ776 SCR Driver V1.1.3.9
Power DVD
QuickSet
QuickTime
SigmaTel Audio
Spy Sweeper
Symantec Endpoint Protection
Tivo Desktop 2.5.1
Trillian
Windows Washer
Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803)
Windows Internet Explorer 7
Windows Media 11
Windows Live OneCare
Windows XP Service Pack 2

Let me know if you need more specifics.

By the way I looked at the dell support link sent by the previous poster and even after uninstalling Dell Support I still get the SDDMI error messages in the Even Log and I don't have Winsdows Defender installed either.

#5 TheBrit

TheBrit

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:39 AM

delete/disable all the Dell related programs.

#6 ///

///

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:16 PM

Ahh, the usual list of programs for any computer. :thumbsup: Delete any unused programs did you follow this guide? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/ by jgweed? by the way don't delete IE7 it's usefull for downloading. Firefox dowloads are very slow so use IE to download fast also get IE7Pro if you want the firefox type of browsing. Use firefox for fast browsing.

Edited by ///, 26 March 2008 - 05:23 PM.

#7 Rich F

Rich F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:25 AM

Ok. Dell determined that the motherboard was bad and replaced it as the system was under warranty. I have removed all Dell related programs and used the start up list database to remove some programs and services from my start up list and the system seems not to lock up anymore. I also found out that if I attach my USB thumb drive the SDDMI message doesn't come up in the event viewer as an error anymore so I think I must have removed the USB drive without clicking the safely remove hardware icon at some point. Thanks again everyone for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users