Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unexpected Shut-down

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MissClyds

MissClyds

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:58 PM

I am not sure what has happened to my computer :flowers:

Just today my computer has shut down (for no reason) 7 times today (twice when I was in the middle of doing something and 5 times during start-up)

This was a personal computer but now is being used as a shared computer (family and friends) so I am not sure if they caused something. They are not 'computer smart' so it is possible they downloaded a virus or did something else to make the computer act wonky.

I do know for the past month my fan in my CPU has been running constantly. I had my disk defragmented, ran numerous virus softwares, and removed unnecessary programs (thinking that maybe there was a disk space issue) and it was still running like mad all the time.

But now since I've encountered this problem, with the constant shut-downs, its quiet (hopefully I did not blow it out :thumbsup:)
The CPU does not feel hot at all.

I started my computer in Safe Mode about an hour ago (had to try three times) and did run another virus scan. There were some tracking cookies but that was about it. I also ran HiJack this and saved a log.

I'm probably not going anywhere with this. But I'm trying to type out as much as I can before my computer shuts down again...

Thank You for any assitance! I'll be glad to answer any questions~!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:02 PM

In Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a fatal error occurs. An alternative is to turn off the automatic reboot feature so you can actually see the error code/STOP Message (which is also known as the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD)).

To change the recovery settings and Disable Automatic Rebooting, right-click on My Computer and select Properties > Advanced tab. Under "Startup and Recovery", click on the "Settings" button and go to "System failure". Make sure that "Write an event to the system log" is checked and that "Automatically restart" is unchecked. Click "OK" and reboot for the changes to take effect.

This will not cure your problem but instead of crashing and restarting you will get a blue diagnostic screen with information displayed that will allow you to better trace your problem. Next time your computer crashes copy down the entire error message (including all the numbers) and post it back here.

This type of rebooting behaviour is often caused by your computer overheating. You can check your system temperatures with SpeedFan, which should give you an indication of whether your system is running too hot.

Also, I would recommend that you open your computer case and make sure all the fans are spinning okay and that there isn't an excessive amount of dust in there that would impede air flow. See the following Bleeping Computer tutorial for guidance on cleaning inside your computer.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC

Edited by Budapest, 25 March 2008 - 06:03 PM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 MissClyds

MissClyds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:06 PM

Thank You for the fast reply! I changed the settings :thumbsup:

When it does shut down again, I'll make sure I post the error message here.

I'll also read the tutorial and check out that site.

Edited by MissClyds, 25 March 2008 - 06:08 PM.

#4 MissClyds

MissClyds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:13 PM

Just ran the SpeedFan Software and heres the data-

Fan 1 2033 RPM Temp 1 - 89C
Fan 2 902 RPM Temp 2 - 37C
Fan 3 0 RPM Temp 3 - 12C

Temp 1 seems to fluctuate from 83C-95C...which I'm guessing is pretty bad. I'm going to take a look at it internally in the morning and clean/check it out.

#5 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:16 PM

use a can of air to blow out the dust
dust buster but hold the fans so they wont spin to fast
otherwise you may damage the bearings

#6 TheBrit

TheBrit

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:06 AM

well fan1 is the key (which is your cpu fan) - the temp is too high!

either it is clogged or on the way out.

If you have a decent electronics shop locally they should have a 12V fan of the right size (it's only attached by 4 screws), failing that, get a new heatsink/fan.

#7 MissClyds

MissClyds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:45 PM

Well, today I cleaned off the fan (which was dusty...too dusty) and now the temp 1 temperature has dropped several C's (lowest 63C --- Highest 84C). So it got better, but I think I might need to replace the thing since it is now running constantly again.

I haven't had a shut-down since (which is a good thing) but if the temp goes back up to the 90's then I think I will encounter one again.

I did some searching online and found a Antec TriCool 120MM PC Case Fan for $19.99. This was the most reasonable I found for a 120mm (I did see some 80mm's for 4 dollars but I think it might be too small)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users