Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'your Computer Has Been Infected By An Unknown Trojan"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sjsivak

sjsivak

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:57 PM

Hello all,

I have had the 'Your computer has been infected by an unknown trojan" message for about a week now. I researched several different forums, it seemed that SmitFraudFix was the answer in most cases.

So I ran that last night, I cleaned the registry by answering 'Y', all in safe mode, and I restarted. When I restarted, I noticed two things. One, my wallpaper was gone, and two, I couldn't connect to the internet anymore. I tried the basics, restarted my modem, troubleshooting my connection, etc. Nothing seems to work.

Obviously without an internet connection, it makes it tough to seek answers. Please help if you know what I do next!

Thanks! Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:45 PM

Hello please do these things
To repair the internet connection
Download LSPFix and save to your desktop.
alternate download site
alternate download site
  • Disconnect from the Internet, go to the LSPfix file and extract (unzip) LSP-Fix into its own folder such as C:\lspfix. (Click here for information on how to do this if not sure. Win 9x/2000 users click here.
  • Open the lspfix folder and double-click on LSPFix.exe to start the program.
  • Check the "I know what I am doing" checkbox.
  • Select (highlight) all instances of BAD.dll in the left column under "Keep".
  • Click the arrow >> so it goes over to the right column under "Remove".
  • Click "Finish" and LSPfix will remove references to the file and restore the chain numbers.
  • Restart your computer in "SAFE MODE" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".
  • Delete the following files:
    • C:\Windows\system32\BAD.dll
      C:\Windows\system32\BAD.dll
  • Restart your computer normally and post a new HJT log.
For instructions with screen shots, see the "Using LSP-Fix Tutorial".

This warning comes with SmitfraudFix
Warning : running option #2 on a non infected computer will remove your Desktop background.

Would you please post the scanlog report
The report can be found at the root of the system drive, usually at C:\rapport.txt
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 sjsivak

sjsivak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:53 AM

Boopme,

When I run the lspfix, the only things in the left window are:

mswsock.dll
winrnr.dll
rsvpsp.dll

I didn't proceed, wanted to check here first.

Here's my log file; Thanks!

SmitFraudFix v2.308

Scan done at 21:56:35.17, Mon 03/24/2008
Run from C:\Documents and Settings\Steven J Sivak\Desktop\SmitfraudFix
OS: Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] - Windows_NT
The filesystem type is NTFS
Fix run in safe mode

SharedTaskScheduler Before SmitFraudFix
!!!Attention, following keys are not inevitably infected!!!

SrchSTS.exe by S!Ri
Search SharedTaskScheduler's .dll

Killing process

hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost

VACFix

VACFix
Credits: Malware Analysis & Diagnostic
Code: S!Ri

Winsock2 Fix

S!Ri's WS2Fix: LSP not Found.

Generic Renos Fix

GenericRenosFix by S!Ri

Deleting infected files

IEDFix

IEDFix
Credits: Malware Analysis & Diagnostic
Code: S!Ri
C:\WINDOWS\ausctv32a.dll deleted.

DNS

HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{48B5B5B7-4010-4F2E-8783-D9AC29716DB4}: DhcpNameServer=24.25.5.148 24.25.5.147
HKLM\SYSTEM\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{48B5B5B7-4010-4F2E-8783-D9AC29716DB4}: DhcpNameServer=24.25.5.148 24.25.5.147
HKLM\SYSTEM\CS3\Services\Tcpip\..\{48B5B5B7-4010-4F2E-8783-D9AC29716DB4}: DhcpNameServer=24.25.5.148 24.25.5.147
HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: DhcpNameServer=24.25.5.148 24.25.5.147
HKLM\SYSTEM\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: DhcpNameServer=24.25.5.148 24.25.5.147
HKLM\SYSTEM\CS3\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: DhcpNameServer=24.25.5.148 24.25.5.147

Deleting Temp Files

Winlogon.System

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"System"=""

Registry Cleaning

Registry Cleaning done.

SharedTaskScheduler After SmitFraudFix

SrchSTS.exe by S!Ri
Search SharedTaskScheduler's .dll

End

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,062 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:17 AM

Go to Start > Control Panel > Display. Click on the "Desktop" tab, then the "Customize Desktop..." button.
Click on the "Web" tab, then under Web Pages, uncheck everything and look for any of the following:
  • Security Info
  • Warning Message
  • Security Desktop
  • Warning Homepage
  • Desktop Uninstall
If present, select each entry and click the Delete button.
Also, make sure the Lock desktop items box is unchecked. Click "Ok", then "Apply" and "Ok". I

Most Internet connectivity problems arise out of corrupt Winsock settings due to the installation of a networking software or Malware infestation.

If your using Windows XP SP2, log on as an administrator.
Go to Start > Run and type: cmd
Press OK or Hit Enter. A dos Window will appear.
At the command prompt, type or copy/paste: netsh winsock reset
Hit Enter.
When the program is finished, you will receive the message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset."
Close the command box and reboot your computer.

Go to Start > Run > type: cmd
Press OK or Hit Enter.
At the command prompt, type or copy/paste: ipconfig /flushdns
Hit Enter.
Close the command box.

Configure TCP/IP to use DNS. Go to Start > Control Panel, and choose Network Connections.
Right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and and choose Properties.
Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item.
Select the radio button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically".
Click OK twice to get out of the properties screen and restart your computer.

CAUTION: It is possible that your Internet Service Provider requires specific settings here. Make sure you know if you need specific DNS settings here or not before you make these changes. If you are sure you do not need a specific DNS address, you may proceed.

If you continue to have connectivity problems, download WinSockFix from another computer, save to a usb stick, and transfer it to your computer.
Be sure to print out and follow the instructions for using this tool provided in the Winsock Repair Tutorial.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 sjsivak

sjsivak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:39 PM

Looks like the last bit worked! I ran through the Winsock reset and the 'flushDNS,' and things seem to be up and running normally. Most importantly, no more popups!

Thanks guys!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,062 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:47 PM

Good job.

If there are no more problems or signs of infection, you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok".
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users