Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting Aolshcpy.dll

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 prjm

prjm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:50 PM

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place for this post; I couldn't quite sort out where to put it.

I'm running XP Meida Center Edition on a Gateway computer that I 'inherited' from my boss.

Today I elected to strip out all the AOL stuff that was on it. I was pretty successful -- I deleted about 350 MB of files. There's one persistent file, though -- aolshcpy.dll -- that doesn't want to go. I haven't been able to learn much about this file, and I can't figure out what program (if any) is using it. It shows up in some malware lists, but as a non-threat.

My most recent gambit was to rename the file to aolshcpy.dllx and then reboot. Everything seems to be running fine. I have deleted (and then restored) the renamed file.

Can anyone tell me:

1) What is this file?
2) Why won't XP delete it?
3) Is there any risk in deleting it now that I've successfully rebooted with the file renamed?

Thanks and regards,

Paul in Wisconsin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:49 PM

Hi and welcome to bleeping computer.
I have read your situation and it seems that the stubborn aolshcpy.dll file doesn't want to be deleted. I know that some AOL files install much more than what you requiered. To me I think as if it was a spware because it does things that you don't know so it may be bad or good. I don't think you need to change the name of the exsisting file. If you want to remove it please download unlocker it will help you delete files cannot be deleted. Here is the unlocker download link:Unlocker download

Once you have downloaded Unlocker unto your desktop please follow the following instructions:
  • Download onto your desktop double click the file to start the setup
  • Continue to click Next until you see the choose component sections
  • put a checkmark on: check for updates, explorer extension and assisstant
  • Now click install and when it's finish click finish
  • Now go back to the file you were trying to delete
  • delete it and if it still says cannot delete then Unlocker should automatically appear
  • Once you see Unlocker appear, at the bottom click unlock
  • Now try deleting the file again it should work properly now

Edited by extremeboy, 25 March 2008 - 06:52 PM.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 prjm

prjm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:35 PM

Thanks for the response!

Since renaming the file and then deleting it was easier, I did that rather than download the UNLOCKER utility. I backed up (to CD) all the AOL junk that I deleted, and then wiped it out. The system seems stable, the network is fine.

Thanks again!

Paul in WI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users