Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mailwasher - A Dilemma

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 nivrip

nivrip

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:31 PM

I lost the Uninstall file for Mailwasher somehow. One suggestion was to install Mailwasher again hoping to overwrite the first copy and provide the Uninstall file. However, all that happened was that I ended up with two versions of Mailwasher !! And two mailwasher icons on the desktop.

Clicking on either simply brought up a box stating "Mailwasher is already running" Where they are running I have no idea, as I can't access them at all. I went into Control Panel to uninstall but this is not allowed till I stop Mailwasher running. As I can't find it I can't stop it so I can't uninstall it. Same if I try to delete the program from Program Files. It also won't delete in Ccleaner.

Any ideas as to how I might get this uninstalled?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:06 PM

may one ask which version of Windows is involved and also what problems you are having WITH mailwasher that make you wish to uninstall it?

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:11 PM

You could look in Task Manager and kill (End Task) the one (or two?) that are running. Then try uninstalling the most recent one.

I can't think why it would have produced two folders when you installed the second one. Unless the one you just installed is a newer version. That might be why it made another program folder. Under normal circumstances, it would have pointed to C:\Program Files\MailWasher and then asked if you wanted to overwrite those files. (Say yes).

After removing the most recent copy (assuming it does have an uninstaller), go back in Program Files and make note of the exact path the first one is installed in. Then try reinstalling again but change (or use the browse button) to point to where the original one is. Maybe that'll work and put the uninstaller in so you can remove it.

Also, don't use Add/Remove. If you've got them, use the uninstallers in the program file(s).

#4 nivrip

nivrip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:44 PM

Thanks for the replies. I got an idea from another forum, which was to use a program called Unlock - a small free download which seems to have done the trick. :thumbsup: It has also managed to delete some other files which I had not been able to remove from the system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users