Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer will not Start,WIN ME

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 richie78

richie78

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:10 PM

You'll need a boot floppy (if it has floppy drive)
At the command line type: scanreg /restore and you should
be able to restore to an earlier point.
Aside from that Windows might just be too corrupt
and needs to be re-installed (does he have the ME install disk?)
Maybe a good time to give a Linux LiveCD a shot and look
through the Windows system logs. HTH

I am having a similar problem on my ME operating system computer where Explorer won't start on initial boot up. It will after power down and restore, but the operating system automatically triggers a scan disk first. Sounds like a similar related problem to me, don't you agree? Why would a reinstall of the ME operating system work? Wouldn't that erase everything, including my saved data on the hard drives?

You mention the Windows system logs. What are these and where do I find them on the computer?

richie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:39 PM

I am having a similar problem on my ME operating system computer where Explorer won't start on initial boot up.

Explorer starts when Windows starts on all operating system.

For a quick check Run: Msconfig and look in the Startup tab, it shown say Windows Explorer, C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE. If it doesn't then its been removed from the registry.

To put it back in the registry Run: Regedit goto

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

You should see an list of all applications that run when Windows starts up.

Right-click on a blank area on the right-hand pain and select New String Value and name it Windows Explorer. Now double-click on Windows Explorer and add C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE into the Value data and click OK.

Do a restart and see what happens. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:01 PM

Windows has the ability to reinstall itself and
just overwrite the OS files while leaving all your "stuff".
Of course your programs such as Antivirus and such
will need to be reinstalled also, but the existing files will still
be there.

Log files are in C:\
Bootlog.txt
Detlog.txt

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#4 richie78

richie78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:13 PM

Windows has the ability to reinstall itself and
just overwrite the OS files while leaving all your "stuff".
Of course your programs such as Antivirus and such
will need to be reinstalled also, but the existing files will still
be there.

Log files are in C:\
Bootlog.txt
Detlog.txt

Thanks for the info. I became a little confused when I spoke to a technician GEEK at the local Best Buy. I must have misunderstood hime when he explained that I would loose all my data if I reloaded my ME Operating System. I don't know if reloading the ME OS will do any good in correcting my current frustrating problems. Any thoughts about the effectiveness of a reload?

Richie

#5 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:01 PM

My thoughts are this:
A reload will usually fix the OS problems, but if they
were caused by something (malware, virus,etc) it will
still be on the drive and most likely resurface and
cause more problems.
Another suggestion is this:
Download a Linux LiveCD version (I use PCLinuxOS) and use it
to backup all your important files (pics,docs, whatever) and do
a complete reformat and reinstall of Windows. If you decide to
go that route you get help in the Linux section of this board.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#6 richie78

richie78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:38 PM

My thoughts are this:
A reload will usually fix the OS problems, but if they
were caused by something (malware, virus,etc) it will
still be on the drive and most likely resurface and
cause more problems.
Another suggestion is this:
Download a Linux LiveCD version (I use PCLinuxOS) and use it
to backup all your important files (pics,docs, whatever) and do
a complete reformat and reinstall of Windows. If you decide to
go that route you get help in the Linux section of this board.

I remembered that ME has a restore function and I tried that. Successfully restored to a point about a week ago when everything was working right. Right now everything is working the way it's supposed to.

You could be right about the problem being in a file of malware, a virus , or such, that is stored on the harddrive as a file of some sort. And my problems could resurface. I hope that isn't going to be the case, because I don't want to have to go thru the process you describe, because there really is no way that I'd be certain that the malware isn't imbedded in one of the data files that I choose to backup.

Oh well,,,,

richie

#7 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:11 AM

You could be right about the problem being in a file of malware, a virus , or such, that is stored on the harddrive as a file of some sort. And my problems could resurface. I hope that isn't going to be the case, because I don't want to have to go thru the process you describe, because there really is no way that I'd be certain that the malware isn't imbedded in one of the data files that I choose to backup.

Thats the beauty of using Uninstall Manager :flowers: but in your case its a bit too late because you don't know what files that have been installed without your knowledge. I've been using it for 5 years its the best app you will ever install for Windows, and it doesn't cost much.

Which virus checker are you using? :thumbsup:

Keith

#8 richie78

richie78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:25 PM

Thats the beauty of using Uninstall Manager :flowers: but in your case its a bit too late because you don't know what files that have been installed without your knowledge. I've been using it for 5 years its the best app you will ever install for Windows, and it doesn't cost much.

Which virus checker are you using? :thumbsup:

Hello Keith, I just got AVG running on the computer this morning. and I'm glad I decided to do it. Apparently I've been infected with a Trojan Horse, whatever that is. AVG is still running and I'm doing a complete scan, so I don't know the full infection yet. And I'm even more puzzled about what to do about the Trojan Horse. Any suggestions???

I noticed that the reference you gave has an entension of ".url". I've begun to notice that some downloads also have this extension. Just what is it and what does it do?

richie

#9 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:10 PM

And I'm even more puzzled about what to do about the Trojan Horse. Any suggestions???

Well a Trojan horse or just Trojan is the context of computing and software, a Trojan horse, or simply trojan, is a piece of software which appears to perform a certain action but in fact performs another such as a computer virus. Contrary to popular belief, this action, usually encoded in a hidden payload, may or may not be actually malicious, but Trojan horses are notorious today for their use in the installation of backdoor programs. Simply put, a Trojan horse is not a computer virus. Unlike such malware, it does not propagate by self-replication but relies heavily on the exploitation of an end-user (see Social engineering). It is instead a categorical attribute which can encompass many different forms of codes. Therefore, a computer worm or virus may be a Trojan horse. The term is derived from the classical story of the Trojan Horse.

In the field of computer architecture, 'Trojan Horse' can also refer to security loopholes that allow kernel code to access anything for which it is not authorized.

I noticed that the reference you gave has an entension of ".url". I've begun to notice that some downloads also have this extension. Just what is it and what does it do?

I'm not sure what you mean by ".url" extension? The link I posted was http://www.samsunsegman.com/um/ so where is the url?

Uninstall Manager scans your hard drive for a list of its contents, file wise. The next time you run it, it will tell you what extra files have been added and tell you the file, location, date and time. So have to decide if you want to keep these files or send them to the Recycle bin. You can set it to forget certain folders that are constantly been updated e.g. Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, Recent Documents etc

This way you will notice what as been installed without your knowledge while you have been surfing. You can also do a System Restore. As I said its a bit late in your case because you don't know what as been installed without your knowledge.

Just do a full virus check and see what it picks up. :thumbsup:

Keith

#10 richie78

richie78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:57 PM

Keith, you answered:
"I'm not sure what you mean by ".url" extension? The link I posted was http://www.samsunsegman.com/um/ so where is the url?"

Must have mixed up my messages about the ".url", Keith. But I've noticed a number of files that I've downloaded have that type extension added to the file, ie, XXXX.exe.url. When is see these files that I want to save, I have been just erasing the ".url" and saving the file as an".EXE" file. I don't know if this matters much at all tho, because the programs seem to operate all right.

richie

Edited by richie78, 26 March 2008 - 09:03 PM.

#11 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:47 AM

Must have mixed up my messages about the ".url", Keith. But I've noticed a number of files that I've downloaded have that type extension added to the file, ie, XXXX.exe.url. When is see these files that I want to save, I have been just erasing the ".url" and saving the file as an".EXE" file. I don't know if this matters much at all tho, because the programs seem to operate all right.

A file with a url extension is a web link, internet short-cut but you don't see the url extension if you look at the files in your Favorites.

When you download any file of the web it knows the file type and it will give its own extension, zip, exe, jpg or what ever. If it says its a zip file don't give it an exe extension and visa versa. :thumbsup:

Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users