Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Problem With Laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 G_Eris

G_Eris

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:16 PM

I recently got a used Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop. When I booted it up for the first time the screen flicks on and off between white and black, does not show the usual Dell logo or any other text, then comes on solid white. It makes the appropriate windows startup sounds though, so it seems the operating system is working. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:49 PM

If you have a monitor handy...try attaching that and using it for display purposes. That will tell you something.

Louis

#3 G_Eris

G_Eris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:01 PM

Ok. It works fine when hooked to my monitor. But when I go into the hardware profile and click the properties tab for my screen, it says it's working properly. When I go to view the driver, it says there is none. Does there need to be?

Edited by G_Eris, 25 March 2008 - 03:12 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,850 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:38 PM

I don't have a laptop...but I suspect that any device expected to provide visual output...requires a driver.

If you don't have them all, might as well get them here:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

Louis

#5 G_Eris

G_Eris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:04 PM

Ok. Obviously the LCD is shot. Any idea how to tell the exact kind of screen I need and any suggestions where to get a cheap one?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,850 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:54 PM

You probably ought to wait for inputs from those who work with this sort of situation every day.

Me, I'm just an old Army retiree who's given up the chase for the illusionary dollar :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:08 PM

Well if it stays white, it's not a backlight. First thing to do is get the proper driver, as suggested. It could be a bad/loose connection from the monitor's flat ribbon cable to the connector on the system board or a bad screen
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users