Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Friends Computer Crashed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 twiztidjuggalo666

twiztidjuggalo666

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 01:41 PM

my friend has a custom built computer and it has crashed. all that comes up is the white letters on the beginning screen then it goes blank and doesnt load any further.
we would like to know of any way to maybe reinstall windows as he has the windows xp disc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:24 PM

Can you get into the BIOS?

Do you intend to do a clean install (obliterates everything on hard drive)?

Do you intend to try a repair install?

No error message of any sort?

Can you get into the BIOS to change boot options?

Louis

#3 twiztidjuggalo666

twiztidjuggalo666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:10 PM

well he has his windows xp disc and when he puts it in it doesnt load
he wants to get everything gone in his sysytem
he goes to the bios and changes it so that the disc drive starts up first. when it does he gets a message that says something along the lines of
"checking your computers hard drives" or somethingl like that then goes blank and doesnt do anything after that.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:43 PM

IMO, it sounds like the hard drive has problems, if I am interpreting your statements correctly.

My understanding is that your friend changed the boot order, inserted the XP CD. The XP install process started...and then nothing. Is that correct?

If so...I suggest that your friend immediately download a manufacturer's diagnostic and run same on the hard drive, following all instructions for using this utility.

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp. - http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287#samsung

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users