Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Constantly Running At 100% And Driver Issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gasmith2

gasmith2

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:56 AM

Good Afternoon! :thumbsup:

First of all I put a gig of ram in my laptop about three weeks ago. So now my total memory is a gig and a half. About a week ago my computer started running really slow. I pushed control-alt-delete only to find that my cpu was running at 100%. It hasn't stopped running at 100% and the fan on the right side of my computer seems to always be on. When I installed the ram into my laptop all I did was put it in. Did I need to change anything else and is that the problem? I ran my virus software and it didn't come up with anything.

Here is a pic of my task manager when I just have firefox running:

Posted Image

Secondly, I started my computer today and I was prompted that my ati2dvag display driver was not running normally. Is this related to my first problem at all and what can I do to fix it. My computer told me to just reboot it, but this is the second time that this problem has happened. How can I fix this problem?

Thank you,

Gabe

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:18 PM

When you open Task Manager, click on the Processes tab to see what application is causing the problem
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:19 PM

I believe your problems are related...since I have experienced a problem with the ATI drivers (almost always).

I've recently had a problem with the driver you mentioned where it caused a series of BSODs on this system...until I decided to use the Autoruns program to stop that driver from loading. I lost the functionality, but I was able to boot successfully without BSODs...and then I updated the ATI drivers (via Windows Update)...and all has been well since.

Take a look: http://www.modernstreet.com/general/ati2dvag-problem/

It's funny that this article mentions it as a virus because I saw an update for the ATI card come through as a critical update maybe 2 months ago...and I wondered how that could be (since driver updates are normally/never considered critical for the O/S). I still don't know the answer to that one :thumbsup:.

I would try updating the ATI drivers, using the WinUpdate site. I don't normally recommend this, but I do know that it worked beneficially when I tried it last.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users