Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatting Will It Get Rid Of Virus-malware?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mombojan

mombojan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:21 AM

Got a Google news alert and the page it lead me to said I need to download a X file. I immediately backed out but that was it. I've had so many trojans, malware, viruses its unbelievable. It's compromised my system, can't use System Restore and can't get rid of audio pop-ups. I ran McAfee, PC3Spyware Doctor, got ad-ware and run that and I'm still not free! I'm now considering reformatting, but will these infections survive? Don't want to do it if that won't solve problem. I put this here cause I didn't know where for sure. Mmbojan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:34 AM

I also got stuck with a nasty bug. It changed a lot of my system files. Although I managed to fix a lot of things with the help of experts, the bottom line is that eveybody is telling me I should install a clean copy of XP. For me, that's reformatting. I want to be sure everything has been cleaned for good. Antiviruses might detect the virus but it doesn't do a very good job at restoring the files to their original state. Sometimes, ComboFix and SDfix will do a good job but in my case it didn't. So yes, reformatting will delete everything.

Before reformatting, perhaps you should get an expert's advice to see if he could help.

Good luck!

(As for me, I'm going to get a XP Pro CD and reformat)

Edited by karbo1, 25 March 2008 - 11:36 AM.

Please post back if we found the solution

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:04 PM

A reformat and clean install...gives a user a clean sheet to start.

Everyone once had a clean sheet, but it's the failure by users to attempt to maintain such...that often lies at heart of their problems with malware, particularly if such are always happening.

As for restoring files...files are like you and me...once damaged, we have to heal. The difference between a file being damaged and a human being damaged...is that often files are not able to completely heal (such is the world of computing) and the only way to return that functionality in full is to replace the file.

That's where backups, disk images, etc. come in, along with the XP CD and tools on it.

http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/res...wartonlinethugs

Louis

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:17 PM

Rather that reformat an infected hdd I prefer just to go ahead and overwrite it with a utility like Drive Wipe or Active Kill Disk. Kill Disk is a free utility.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:55 PM

I might add that if there is any personal data needing backup, be sure to scan the CD or removable drive before putting any of that back on the new system

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users