Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dial-up Only Option

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mojavemystic

mojavemystic

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:31 AM

Hello,
I live in the boondocks and the only option I have for internet is dial-up. It is painfully slow. I am accustomed to the superfast cable access I had while living in California. Is there anyway I can make my dial-up any faster? I dont expect super speed, but even a little faster would be an improvement!

Thank you,
Mojave
Spelunking Rocks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 She Haunts Me

She Haunts Me

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:59 AM

What web browser are you using? You can try Mozilla Firefox or Opera (both are free.) They are both great browsers and are usually faster than IE (if that's what you are using.)

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:36 AM

It's a little tricky but you can have your computer as close as possible to the connection box on the outside of the house,
then wire one cable pair to the modem, use the other pair to pass the signal to the regular telephone devices.

Almost every device hooked to the telephone line creates an impedence that degrades the connectivity. Surge protectors are notorious for this.

Unfortunately you are probably past the limit of V90 connectivity(3 miles of cable pair) or dsl would be available?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users