Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registery Cleaning Software

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 starlite

starlite

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:23 AM

Hi

I have a very slow computer. I used a free registery scanner to scan my computer and it came up with a lot of extranious stuff it said it would remove. The program I used was Advanced Registery Optomizer.

Is it actually safe to buy and scan/remove these from my registery? :thumbsup:

My laptop is 5 years old and runs XP home.

Thanks for the information .

starlite

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:51 AM

See these links:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...egistry+cleaner
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...egistry+cleaner
http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=61015

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:05 AM

Great research Juha! Thanks! I'm bookmarking this one for future reference.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:51 AM

lol! Wouldn't call it 'Great Research' but thanks!

#5 FourDown

FourDown

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:56 AM

Hi

On the other side of this love-fest....I use the registry cleaner that is part of CCleaner, and for removing junk from the registry left after program deletions, and no longer referenced items, I have found it to be pretty good. No, it didn't speed up squat, but somehow...I feel cleaner.

JMHO.

4D

#6 TheNerd

TheNerd

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:16 PM

Hi

On the other side of this love-fest....I use the registry cleaner that is part of CCleaner, and for removing junk from the registry left after program deletions, and no longer referenced items, I have found it to be pretty good. No, it didn't speed up squat, but somehow...I feel cleaner.

JMHO.

4D

I second this recommendation. I use CCleaner all the time and I love it :thumbsup:

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:42 PM

if it is slow, when did you last run the diskdefragmenter on it

or run any antivirus or other checks to ensure you are not carrying 'unwanted guests' on a daily hike?

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:07 PM

The articles that Juha cited will explain the seeming "success" with using some registry cleaners. It's a crap shoot - and like most gambling, you just can't win in the long run.

You may succeed in using it several times - but at one point there'll be a glitch that it can't fix. And then your system won't be stable any longer. Best case is that Windows will act a bit funky - worst case is that you won't be able to boot into Windows.

I've had this happen to me a bunch of times - it's not fun to try and recover from it. The Windows registry is a complicated database of information - and not only does it contain Windows stuff, but it also contains stuff from nearly every bit of software that is installed on your system. While the actions of the major manufacturer's of drivers and software are fairly well known - who knows if the writer of the software has complied with the recommendations from Microsoft?

And, even if they have, how can one registry cleaner keep track of all of these different software items? It becomes a guessing game then - do you want to do that to your system?

Regardless, the advice for backing up your stuff still applies. If you hose your registry, the best way to restore it is from a backup of the registry. But this isn't a 100% solution. At work we find that it works about 50% of the time - the rest of the time it's "format and resintall".
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 starlite

starlite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:02 PM

Hi
Yes I do defragment often and also scan for viruses. I will look into some of the links in replies and I thank you all so much for your responses.
Linda :thumbsup:

if it is slow, when did you last run the diskdefragmenter on it

or run any antivirus or other checks to ensure you are not carrying 'unwanted guests' on a daily hike?

#10 starlite

starlite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:10 PM

John

Since most agree that cleaning the registry will not speed up the computer I think it's best just left alone. I do have backup's of almost everything on an external hard drive so if this computer crashes I won't be totally lost.

Thanks for the great information, I am not as computer savy as most here.

Thanks again
Linda

The articles that Juha cited will explain the seeming "success" with using some registry cleaners. It's a crap shoot - and like most gambling, you just can't win in the long run.

You may succeed in using it several times - but at one point there'll be a glitch that it can't fix. And then your system won't be stable any longer. Best case is that Windows will act a bit funky - worst case is that you won't be able to boot into Windows.

I've had this happen to me a bunch of times - it's not fun to try and recover from it. The Windows registry is a complicated database of information - and not only does it contain Windows stuff, but it also contains stuff from nearly every bit of software that is installed on your system. While the actions of the major manufacturer's of drivers and software are fairly well known - who knows if the writer of the software has complied with the recommendations from Microsoft?

And, even if they have, how can one registry cleaner keep track of all of these different software items? It becomes a guessing game then - do you want to do that to your system?

Regardless, the advice for backing up your stuff still applies. If you hose your registry, the best way to restore it is from a backup of the registry. But this isn't a 100% solution. At work we find that it works about 50% of the time - the rest of the time it's "format and resintall".

Edited by starlite, 27 March 2008 - 09:11 PM.

#11 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:33 PM

Starlite:

I do have backup's of almost everything on an external hard drive so if this computer crashes I won't be totally lost.

John:

...the best way to restore it is from a backup of the registry. But this isn't a 100% solution. At work we find that it works about 50% of the time - the rest of the time it's "format and resintall".

If I am not wrong, I think what John was trying to say was that EVEN if the system registry is fully backed, there is still a chance that restoring it will fail. So, I don't think having a backup on an external hard drive will make a difference.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:59 PM

2 situations here:

1) A backup of all your important data. That should always be done - and it will be a lifesaver if you can't recover from a registry cleaner mishap.

2) A backup of the registry in case of a registry cleaner mishap. The backup can be stored on the hard drive "just in case" because you'll need to access the drive to restore the registry anyway. The way we do this at work is we boot into a Windows PE environment and don't load the registry hives. Once in, we rename the current registry hives with a .BAK extension. Then we copy the backed up hives in and rename them with the appropriate hive name. As I said, this works for us about 1/2 the time. If it doesn't work then the next step is a format and reinstall (although a repair install will occasionally fix it).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users