Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading Imbeded Flvs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chris_com28

Chris_com28

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:14 AM

I've recently been having trouble downloading FLVs with Real Player. They have some kind of add-on that allows me to download imbeded FLVs. It's been working fine before, but now when I try to download them the browser closes. It happens in IE and Mozila, but it doesn't happen all the time.

Thanks

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:22 PM

I used Real Player to do this a couple of weeks ago. There are two possibilities. One is that you may need to update Real Player. The more likely possibilty is the website is using DRM to block any kind of downloading of embedded video clips. Real Player won't work in that situation. There may be a work around depending on the website. I need to know where you're trying to download. Is it a viral video site or something more proprietary?

#3 Chris_com28

Chris_com28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:39 AM

Well I think it's only been on Google videos. Though I recently had another problem. I was given a free video to download after filling out a survey. I went to the link and right clicked to save the video and the browser closed. This seems to rule out Real Player and the possibility of it being a website function.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:08 AM

That seems like Digital Rights Media (DRM) to me. Owners of digital media don't want you to copy proprietary videos and Real Player won't download it. This happened to me recently when I wanted to download a video clip from BET. So I'm interested in this video clip that you tried to download after the survey. Post the url and I'll look at it. Besides, you're assuming it's Flash and it may not be. There may be another way to do it. Google, Youtube and other viral video sites are easy to download but the Real Player in Firefox option is awfully convenient. But there are other ways to do it.

Edited by frankp316, 26 March 2008 - 11:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users