Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Input Help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 imnotanidiot

imnotanidiot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 19 March 2005 - 04:29 PM

My computer only has one microphone input in the back of it (it does not have any "line in" inputs or anything). Recently, I tried to plug an external amplifier into that microphone input (i know you aren't supposed to do that). And now since then, my microphone will not work properly. I can hear very faint mic audio coming out of only my left speaker, but it is not being recognized in any recording programs. And also, what little volume I have is being controlled by the "line in" slider in volume control. I don't understand this as I don't even have a "line in" input. I have spoken to numerous "experts" through compaq's site, but I am convinced that I know more about computers than they do. I have tried every simple method possible. In other words, no, my microphone is not muted, yes it is plugged it. Also I have uninstalled and reinstalled multimedia on my computer as well as my ESS Allegro sound drive. Is there any other more "complicated" solution that someone out there knows how to help me with this???? by plugging in this external amplifier, did i switch something over that needs to be switched back???? please someone help me, i am going insane. lol.. thank oyu so much if you help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 20 March 2005 - 02:47 AM

Can you expand on "plug an external amplifier into that microphone input"?

I suspect though you have fried the mic input and the volume you get on "line in" is just crosstalk. Solution - new sound card. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users