Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Help Setting Up Wired Home Network

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 whatnowthen

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:17 PM

I am going to try again to post a topic and hope I do not hit the wrong button and make it go away this time.
I will try to make this more clear than mud. Up until lately the only way to get faster than dial up where i live has been to using Hughesnet satilite DSL type thingie. I have a network set up with the satilite modem connected to a router by ethernet wire and then connecting to three computers also by ethernet, two 100 ft. long.
The property next to mine has set up a wifi connetion and after talking to the owners I have been given the ok to tap into their system. I was figuring I would have to buy a wifi card and install it since my computer did not come with one but ended up getting a cantenna from Illum-nation.com which has a card included and is connected to the computer via USB making it a plug-n-play set up. With my limited knowledge regarding the world of computers, this worked out great.
My question is (yes, there is one) it possible to use my computer as the source of the internet connection and going through the router I already have, connect to the other computers with the ethernet wires already set up. presently my computer is on one of the 100 foot wires from the router. I donot know if that is a factor to consider. If I can use the system already setup, I can save some bucks not having to buy cantennas for the other two computers. Anyway, if anyone can give me some info about this or needs more info from me, please respond to this line. Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:32 PM

Am I right in saying you have your own connection to the internet through a network, and that you have been allowed to use your neighbours wireless connection on one of your systems? and would like to connect all your systems together via wireless?
If that is the case, then it can in theory be done, however, the 100ft gap may be a problem. Are the computer and the router 100ft apart?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users