Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Menu.lst

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EthanH

EthanH

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:05 PM

About a month ago, I had to reinstall Windows XP due to slowness, BSODS and other reasons why people re-install windows. After I reinstalled Windows, Microsoft, asked me to activate windows. So, as I was running a Dell OEM genuine legit version clicked Activate over the internet now. It told me that I must have an incorrect product key. As I hadn't installed anything so had nothing to lose and was in a bit of an anger with Billy Goat, I installed Ubuntu to have a fiddle around. When Ubuntu was installed, I wanted to change the boot order of grub, by editing the menu.lst file. I don't know what the merry hell happened, but somehow my menu.lst file disappeared, leaving me not able to boot a thing. I grabbed my windows CD out booted into recovery and did FIXMBR, which very nicely got me my windows bootability back. I've read guides on the internet on how to reactivate grub, after the windows boot loader, but I need to re-make the menu.lst file and I have no idea whatsoever on how to do that as I'm only a Linux newb. Help would be appreciated!
Thanks!
BTW, I had the most pointless phone call with M$ to do with activation: "Is your copy of Microsoft Windows XP installed on one, or more computers" <Who'd say more than one? After tapping into the phone a 50 digit number, then getting a 47 digit number back, windows was finally activated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 EthanH

EthanH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:36 PM

Ok, I sorted it out, used super grub disk. Pretty handy tool!

#3 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:20 PM

Perhaps you could share how you solved this issue so if
others have a similar problem they will have an answer.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#4 EthanH

EthanH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:54 PM

Hi, here is how I fixed it:

I booted to windows, and downloaded Linux Recovery from here.
I recovered the menu.lst file on to my FAT formatted flash drive.
I then booted to my LiveCD.
sudo copied the file from the flash drive to the grub folder.

Went back into windows, downloaded the .exe from here. Ran installer, booted to the grub disk, and then fixed the MBR back to grub.

I doubt that that was the best way of doing things, but it worked. Also, you can boot ubuntu (or any other GRUB bootable OS) from the windows bootloader, by choosing the grub disk, and booting the OS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users