Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I add a PCI Video Card and how?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jhdeav

jhdeav

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 19 March 2005 - 03:32 PM

I was given a desktop for free but noticed it has integrated video only. Is it possible to to add a PCI video card to this system? It has a 1.7 Ghz Celeron processor and I am not sure what type of board it is. I think the bois is AMBIOS Simple setup utility version1.21.12. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,613 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 07:58 PM

Yes you should be able to add a different video card in it. Most motherboards will detect the added video card and use that instead for the monitor. Unforutnately most video cards these days are agp, so before you buy one make sure your motherboard has the type of slot.

#3 jhdeav

jhdeav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2005 - 09:00 PM

I know for a fact that there is no AGP slot, PIC only. I am sorry, I should have stated that in the first post. I was always under the impression that if you had integrated video that you could not upgrade to with any othr type of video card. I am still learning about these things ias I speak or should I say, as I post. Thanks for your reply.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,613 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2005 - 10:39 PM

No you can definitely install another video card if one is embedded.

#5 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 22 March 2005 - 06:42 PM

The only thing you have to do do make it work on your upgraded one is run the monitor chord through the jack in the video card.

And maybe configure some bios opitons

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users