Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Services Dcomlaunch And Plugplay (under A Svchost.exe Process) Using Over 50% Of Processor For The Last Several Days

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jcp411

jcp411

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:03 PM

For the last few days the CPU has been running at 50-75%. At first I ignored it (thought that a Windows Defender scan or anti-virus scan was going on). After it kept going like that for several days I started doing some digging. What I've found is it is a svchost.exe process with two services under it; DcomLaunch (DCOM Server Process Launcher, C:\Windows\system32\rpcss.dll) and PlugPlay (Plug Play, C:\Windows\system32\umpnpmgr.dll ).

If I try stopping the process Vista immediately logs these error messages:
  • The DCOM Server Process Launcher service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Reboot the machine.
  • The Plug and Play service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Reboot the machine.
  • The process C:\Windows\system32\services.exe (AREA51-M5790) has initiated the restart of computer AREA51-M5790 on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
    Reason Code: 0x30006
    Shutdown Type: restart
    Comment: Windows must now restart because the DCOM Server Process Launcher service terminated unexpectedly
What I guess I'm wondering is what are these processes doing and is there a way to stop/control them? I'm not even looking for this answer necessarily. I'm really wondering what next should I do/take a look at?

System stats:
Alienware Area-51 M5790 Laptop - Vista Ultimate
Intel Core Duo T7400 @ 2.16GHz
2046 MB RAM

The cores are running very hot (75C and the HD at 50C) so I'm king of worried! :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:15 PM

Go to Start and type in "perfmon /report" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Let the system generate the report and let us know what errors that it reports.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 jcp411

jcp411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:48 PM

Well I didn't really sort it out but it stopped when I removed the bluetooth USB transmitter I had plugged AND rebooted (either one of those by themselves didn't seem to correct it). This was the last device I had installed about 2 weeks prior to this happening. I haven't used it since to see what would happen.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:51 AM

I've had issues with the Bluetooth adapter on my new Lenovo laptop. The Toshiba bluetooth stack kept crashing (it's a Kensington adapter). I may try out the Microsoft stack (I've got one of their Bluetooth adapters) this week - but it's not really crucial for me.

FWIW - the Toshiba stack worked just fine on my older Toshiba laptop (go figger! :huh:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users