Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 LindaMac47

LindaMac47

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:40 PM

I'm working my way through to actually USING ComboFix, but have run into a problem before I even begin.

I am following the lengthy pages entitled "How to Use ComboFix" and am stuck on page 4. Once I disable my virus protection, I am instructed to double click on the ComboFix icon. Having done this, I face the usual security warning and am instructed to indicate "run", which I have done. :trumpet:

Next, I am supposed to see a screen showing "ComboFix is preparing to run", but this doesn't happen. What I get, instead, is the same little rectangle (saying "ComboFix" and showing green bars slowly filling in) which appeared when I dragged the Windows XP icon on to the top of the ComboFix icon, in the previous step. :thumbsup:

Do I have you sufficiently confused yet? I think the person answering will have to have the instruction pages in front of him/her in order to follow my progress (or lack thereof). It's pretty obvious by what I have said (step by step) that I am a newbie, so please be patient and explain clearly so that I may actually understand! I want to get this thing up and running!!

:flowers: Please, could SOMEONE help me?? Thanks, Linda

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:16 PM

When posting your problem, do not run and post a ComboFix logs. ComboFix is a tool that should only be run under the supervision of someone who has been trained in its use. Using it on your own can cause problems with your computer. Any posts containing CF Logs will be ignored.

To receive help, you should instead provide a detailed description of your problem, detailed word-for-word error messages that you are receiving, screenshots of strange behaviour, and your operating system. This information is much more useful to our helpers than a ComboFix log.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 LindaMac47

LindaMac47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. However, this leaves me even more confused. It was suggested to me in the Tech Guy Forum that I should install Combo Fix and so that is why I was trying to do it. I was planning to run it and then post my results. Is this not a good idea? I gather from your comments that I shouldn't even TRY this. Am I right? Please let me know. Thanks, Linda

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 05:40 PM

Different forum sites have different procedures to follow. Here at BC, we prefer to assist you for the whole time, just so you don't run into problems such as you encountered. The helper would be able to help you right away. You have not really stated what your problem is and why you were recommended Combo-fix. I suggest you post in our forum Here with the original problem that you sought help with
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 LindaMac47

LindaMac47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:14 PM

Thanks, Garmanma. The original problem was an anti-virus one, and the other forum suggested I switch from AVG to Avast. They felt it was more effective. Do you agree? I am a court reporter and want to work on transcripts on line, which means that I need to have a VERY effective anti-virus program. They also suggested I run Combo-Fix just to see what problems may be in my computer. And that is how I ran into my current problem, which is in dowloading the program. Previously, I had been having a problem with the computer suddenly shutting off and coming back on. This has NOT happened since I deletedd AVG and installed Avast. However, recently, I have been experiencing an error message which says, "A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed." This is SINCE I changed to Avast. Linda

Edited by LindaMac47, 30 March 2008 - 06:18 PM.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:57 PM

I've used AVG on 2 computers for years without incident and I've installed Avast on a couple of others and have not had problems yet. That said, if I had a computer that I was using for work (as my wife sometimes does) I'd be more inclined to buy one (and it's support). A lot more discussions on security practices HERE
I'm not sure how you download programs. The safest way I've found is to download them to your Desktop. then you can close everything running and install from there
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 fluxx23

fluxx23

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:59 AM

For spyware, trojans, bots and such I'd get the free copy of SuperAntispyware. I've been using that lately and it does a very thurough job at cleaning up even tricky stuff.

#8 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:21 AM

as you are running Xp ( with sp2) I for one would suggest you revert back to avg 7.5 ,( system restore ought to allow this to happen but you will need to deactivate avast first) then throw in added protection of the free asquared http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ its exe is http://download6.emsisoft.com/a2FreeSetup.exe

plus as already suggested the superantispyeware http://www.superantispyware.com/superantis...efreevspro.html

its free exe is http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfi...ANTISPYWAREFREE

HOWEVER , due to the nature of your job and the computer ueage? you MAY wish to consider using the PAID for version of this which will give real time protection?

may one suggest you try these programs and , if you already feel you may BE infected, run full system scasn with all of them to see?

and get combofix OFF the computer too!!!!
I have not used it but you could also throw in

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/

which is another paid for program which would appear to have real time protection

The guard takes action before any damage occurs.
a-squared Anti-Malware includes a Background Guard, which recognizes and blocks all dangerous programs before they have a chance to cause any damage. The unique new Malware Intrusion Detection System (Malware-IDS) immediately warns you when a program attempts to perform a potentially dangerous operation. It does this for every program, including those that may appear harmless at first sight!

#9 LindaMac47

LindaMac47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:42 AM

How do I run a system scan? Be gentle, I get confused easily. And thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. What would happen if I kept both AVG AND Avast on my computer? Would that be a bad thing? The idea of paying for protection is a good one. But, in the meantime, could I run both? Linda

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 01:13 PM

How do I run a system scan? Be gentle, I get confused easily. And thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. What would happen if I kept both AVG AND Avast on my computer? Would that be a bad thing? The idea of paying for protection is a good one. But, in the meantime, could I run both? Linda

Running more than one anti-spyware applications is OK. They only run on demand so there is no conflict involved. 2 anti-virus programs on the other hand is not recommended. Which leads me to my next question and to your original problem. When you first got this computer, was Norton anti-virus installed on it? Many people believe that when you remove Norton, using Add/Remove Programs, it is uninstalled. Such is not the case. You need to download a special removal tool. If that's your case, post back and we can help you with that
Mark
Posted Image

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 01:21 PM

I moved this topic to a more appropriate forum.

What would happen if I kept both AVG AND Avast on my computer?

Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. The primary concern with using more than one anti-virus program is due to conflicts that can arise when both are running in real-time mode simultaneously. Anti-virus software components insert themselves into the operating systems core and using more than one can cause instability, crash your computer, slow performance and waste system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, they both may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Each anti-virus will often interpret the activity of the other as a virus and there is a greater chance of them alerting you to a "False Positive". If one finds a virus and then the other also finds the same virus, both programs will be competing over exclusive rights on dealing with that virus. Each anti-virus will attempt to remove the offending file and quarantine it. If one finds and quarantines the file before the other one does, then you encounter the problem of both wanting to scan each other's zipped or archived files and each reporting the other's quarantined contents. This can lead to a repetitive cycle of endless alerts that continually warn you that a virus has been found when that is not the case.

Anti-virus scanners use virus definitions to check for viruses and these can include a fragment of the virus code which may be recognised by other anti-virus programs as the virus itself. Because of this, most anti-virus programs encrypt their definitions so that they do not trigger a false alarm when scanned by other security programs. However, some anti-virus vendors do not encrypt their definitions and will trigger false alarms if used while another resident anti-virus program is active. To avoid these problems, use only one anti-virus solution.

Most anti-virus vendors recommend that you install and run only one anti-virus program at a time:
Symantec's statement.
Avast's statement.
AVG's statement.
Dell Support advises the same for their systems.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 LindaMac47

LindaMac47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:44 PM

Okay, I have changed back to AVG and have downloaded the suggested anti-spyware programs. Now, how does a firewall work, and how do I set up an "effective" one? Thanks, one and all, Linda

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:49 PM

A firewall serves two basics purposes: Prevent incoming communications that you did not request from entering your computer and to monitor what programs on your computer are allowed to communicate out. It does this by enforcing an access control policy to permit or block (allow or deny) inbound and outbound traffice. Thus, the firewall acts as a central gateway for such traffic by denying illegitimate transfers and facilitatint access which is deemed legitimate.

The goal of the firewall is to prevent remote computers from accessing yours and provide an alert of any unrequested traffic that was blocked along with the IP address.

If you choose to use a 3rd-party firewall, you need to disable the Windows firewall. Using two software firewalls on a single computer could cause issues with connectivity to the Internet or other unexpected behavior. Further, running multiple software firewalls can cause conflicts that are hard to identify and troubleshoot. Only one of the firewalls can receive the packets over the network and process them. Sometimes you may even have a conflict that causes neither firewall to protect your connection. However, you can use a hardware firewall (your router) and a software firewall (Kerio or ZoneAlarm) in conjunction. For more information see "The Differences and Features of Hardware & Software Firewalls".

Understanding and Using Firewalls
What is a Firewall
How Firewalls Work

Free firewalls:
Comodo Free Firewall
Online Armor Free
Zone Alarm Free Basic Firewall
Ashampoo FireWall Free
Outpost Firewall Free
Kerio Personal Firewall (available in a full and limited free edition)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#14 LindaMac47

LindaMac47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:36 PM

Quietman, you are incredible. I feel so under-educated! I guess my next question (tired of me yet?) would be: Is the fireewall I have with Microsoft good enough, or should I change to one of the others? And, if I do change, which one would YOU recommend? Thanks so much, Linda

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,720 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:08 PM

Hello LindaMac47,

The difference between the Windows firewall and a third-party firewall is that the Windows Firewall only protects you from incoming traffic. A third party firewall protects you both ways. There are legitimate programs that like to "call home" as it were that don't need to. With a third party firewall, you can block that. In addition, if something 'bad' got on your computer, you can use the third party firewall to block it's communication until you got it off the system. Sometimes a firewall message is what alerts a user to the presence of something on the computer that shouldn't be.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users