Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After Uninstalling Computer Is It Ok To Remove Leftovers From Windows Prefetch?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 D_Vincent

D_Vincent

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:29 PM

After uninstalling a program from the computer is it ok to remove leftovers from windows Prefetch?...I dont want to clear all that is in prefetch just the INSTALL PF File for a program i dumped...keeping in mind I uninstalled program from control panel add and remove then I delete folders and install files as well after the uninstall however when I do a search on my computer in files and folders you can see there is still a bit left over in prefetch...I want to get rid of it if I can...thanks.

Edited by D_Vincent, 24 March 2008 - 04:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:40 PM

An interesting question.

I've never tried deleting single files from the Prefetch folder. As you probably know, some people suggest deleting everything in the Prefetch folder periodically in order to boost performance (but such claims may be dubious.)

In my opinion, it shouldn't be a problem, though you may want to simply move the file in question to another folder until you know that it doesn't break anything then delete it later.

I'm wondering, though. What's so horrible about this program you uninstalled that you're trying to erase all traces of it? Was it infected?

#3 D_Vincent

D_Vincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:59 PM

Not sure what the problem is yet...I have a new computer and just today its been acting a bit wonky so im uninstalling everything I dont need just to see if it was a program that was causing it.

I installed a lexmark 2500 printer software a day or so ago and was wondering if it was that software that was buggy and perhaps there is a more update driver on the net that I need to check for

I actually think it might be the computer mouse...its a laser one and I seem to have to click on things more than once sometimes...sometimes its one click and sometimes it takes more than one click...Im having some clicking links problems and scrolling problems as well.

How long do those laser type of mouse actually last?...I have a microsoft one...i have had it for at least 6 months or more.

Edited by D_Vincent, 24 March 2008 - 05:01 PM.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:30 PM

Mice, both laser/optical and mechanical, usually last for a very long time under normal use. For example my mouse, which is a laser mouse, is rated at 8 million clicks before button failure and 155 miles of dragging before it should need to be replaced.

If your mouse is wireless, make sure the batteries are fresh.

You may want to ensure that the mouse driver is up to date. Also, installing Microsoft's Intellipoint software may increase its responsiveness (it did so on a MS Mouse I have).

#5 D_Vincent

D_Vincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:35 PM

Thanks for the reply...I think I forgot to run the software for the laser mouse on the new computer...Im going to run the Intellipoint software CD and see if that works.

Thanks

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:45 PM

I have been running the ATF cleaner every so often just as an extra maintenance program since it's so easy to select all and get a more thorough scrubbing, the prefetch and java cache and firefox are a pain to do manually.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 D_Vincent

D_Vincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:16 PM

Is ATF cleaner a program that has to be downloaded...just wondering.

Is this the ATF Cleaner your using?

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secu...F-Cleaner.shtml

Edited by D_Vincent, 24 March 2008 - 07:36 PM.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:22 PM

http://www.majorgeeks.com/ATF_Cleaner_d4949.html

http://www.atribune.org/

be careful, it removes all passwords cookites etc

I am even more scared of cccleaner tho

I have seen a lot of problems with MS dumb point&type drivers

try to use the latest if you have to use them

Edited by DaChew, 24 March 2008 - 06:25 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 D_Vincent

D_Vincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:31 PM

I installed software for the mouse however it still seems to be working wonky...maybe I should check for a more up to date software for it.

Thanks for the links and info about the ATF cleaner...I will be carefull when using it...Im only going to remove a few items from prefetch.

Edited by D_Vincent, 24 March 2008 - 07:56 PM.

#10 D_Vincent

D_Vincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:42 PM

I found the problem...its the Lexmark 2500 software...As soon as I uninstalled it the computer started working properly so i guess Im going to have to look for an updated software/driver or perhaps return the printer.

I wonder if walmart will take ruturns on a computer after you installed the ink cartridges.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users