Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mcafee Site Advisor Sayd Red On Giveawayoftheday Site

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jzach28

jzach28

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:29 PM

Hi there, can someone please tell me why is McAfee site advisor "labels" RED the site giveawayoftheday.com? Does it mean it's a "no-no" visit site? Thanks!
Posted Image

He who makes a beast out of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man. - Dr. S. Johnson

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:36 PM

The site itself might be in the green (safe) zone, but the link you are searching may be otherwise.

Try using this little free utility on all links?

http://linkscanner.explabs.com/linkscanner/default.asp

I use the paid version, but there really is no difference.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 jzach28

jzach28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:48 PM

I see, so it means it's still a legit site? I mean only the "links" are the bad ones. Actually, I just searched giveawayoftheday.com on google and thats how I saw it red. Anyway, I think linkscanner is worth to try. Thanks!
:thumbsup:
Posted Image

He who makes a beast out of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man. - Dr. S. Johnson

#4 ///

///

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:22 PM

Some people say that this site gave them software with malware and their computer crashed. Just don't download anything with a score of 50% or lower score and check the reviews. Yes some products an their site has malware so don't download them :flowers: What are you talking about it's green now.

Pretty good site though :thumbsup: Some useless downloads. :|

Edited by KoanYorel, 24 March 2008 - 05:34 PM.

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:37 PM

The site is what I call "semi-legit".

Some of the links are the problems.

Use the SocketShield link scanner I gave you above to check any....

#6 jzach28

jzach28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:28 AM

Hello there, this is for KoanYorel. I tried the linkscanner pro. One thing though, as I was installing it, it prompted that it requires this C++ runtime....service pack 1 or something, so I just continued. I did successfully installed the program and it prompted me to restart. As I did, it sort of hang up or lag on the reboot. My computer did open up after a few minutes, but then the entire system, I mean my desktop changed and as I was continuing to find the reason why, a pop-up SYSTEM ERROR and it forced my pc to reboot. It said NT user or something. It gave me at least 60 second and it restarted my computer. I would like to ask if this happened to you when you installed linkscanner pro also? My computer also lags upon startup though. Is it normal?

Your response will be surely appreciated. Thanks.
Posted Image

#7 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:45 AM

I have the LinkScanner on XP home system here only and have not experienced any of the problems you've noted jzach28. I've put the program on several other XP Pro systems also without any problems. I've yet to put it on a VISTA system.

You might try un-installing and a fresh install?

I'm wondering if you might have some other problems on your XP home system?

Sorry I can't be of more help.

#8 jzach28

jzach28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:11 PM

Update: I think my xp's working fine now. I did not encountered the lagging on boot up and also XPL updated regularly, and so with my NOD32. The "changing" stuff i was referring to was the windows classic view theme i guess, after the installation and the reboot, the theme went into classic view, and then the system rebooted again. Right after that, I have to turn off my laptop as I have gone to work and not until now, I open my computer, I think it booted fine. I guess, it's sort of a glitch or something if I am to say. I think XPL is still a reliable program and I think I'll just continue using this. I also disabled the McAfee siteadvisor and thinking to uninstall it as I think running two of these are not also good. Anyway, much thanks again KoanYorel for the link. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#9 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:31 PM

The site itself is legitimate. I regularly go on to download their featured software. Occasionally there's warnings about a virus or malware on their full software but it has always been a false positive from the heuristic analysis.
The freeware library, however, may contain malware. While they guanrantee that there's nothing dangerous, it's still always a good idea to save and scan all their files before you do anything else with it.
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#10 jzach28

jzach28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:56 AM

I see, so just have to be careful, thanks!
:thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users