Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Crys

Crys

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:31 PM

So I am trying to decide between buying either a SimpleTech 500GB external hard drive or a WD 250 GB Passport portable Hard drive. What I am wanting to know is, is it easy to move a non portable external hard drive from one computer to another? I have 1 PC and 1 laptop and I was thinking about possibly moving it back and forth when needed but it would mostly be hooked to the laptop. If doing it too much would cause problems then I think I would want a portable drive. I am just bouncing back and forth because if I do get the external drive, I would most likely be getting another flash drive too for quick transfers. I am just looking for any help and tips from anyone who knows more about it, thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:06 PM

Every hard drive which is "external"...is, of course, portable. They all use USB connectors, which are now standard on every type of system which is made for consumers.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:27 PM

One thing that I would advise would be to purchase an enclosure that has its own power supply, this would especially be important with the laptop as it wouldn't be an extra drain on the power.

Moving it from one computer to another won't be a problem as it is a plug and play device.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users