Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erratic Keyboard Behavior

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 moshiachnow

moshiachnow

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:57 AM

I have Compaq desktop, a year or two old. The USB ports stopped working, though they showed up in Device Manager as being OK. I wound up installing a PCI USB card to have some working USB ports. Those worked for a while, but then they started behaving erratically.

Thinking the motherboard may be on its way out, I moved the hard drive from this PC to a similar one (same manufacturer and production number). Everything worked fine in this one, the USB ports were good. However, the keyboard did not work. But in an odd way.

If you boot up and want to go to safe mode, the F8 key works. You can also hit F1, the ENTER key responds, etc. Once you are in safe mode, the keyboard works - until you move the mouse. Once you move the mouse (a PS2 mouse), the mouse freezes and the keyboard (also PS2) stops working. A USB mouse will continue to work. But no keyboard will, not a PS2 and not a USB.

I ran PC Doctor's scans, hardware passes. I tried to do system restores, there are plenty of dates to choose from. But, no matter what date I select, it tries to do a restore, but then tells me that it cannot restore to that date. No matter what date.

So, what do I do? The keyboards work on other PCs. They seem to be OK.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:56 PM

Anything abnormal by the devices in Device Manager?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 moshiachnow

moshiachnow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:03 PM

B"H

Yes, there are two keyboards listed, Logitech HID compliant and Logitech PS/2 (yesterday the second one was a Microsoft generic). Both of them are yellow highlighted and in properties it says the drivers may be corrupted. I updated the drivers a few times, deleted the devices, reinstalled them, but it does not seem to solve the problem.

Yosef

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:21 PM

Instead of updating the drivers, remove them and reboot and let Windows re-detect them
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 moshiachnow

moshiachnow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:43 PM

Did that, a few times. It keeps re-discovering them but not as what they are. I should correct that. It detects the Logitech USB keyboard, but if I have a generic PS/2 keyboard attached, it detects it as a Logitech keyboard for some reason. Even after they are detected, they have the yellow alert symbols by them in Device Manager, and no driver update can make them go away (so far anyway).

#6 moshiachnow

moshiachnow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:18 PM

Here is an update: It does not seem to be a hardware problem, but rather a corrupted Windows XP installation. I took the hard drive from the problematic machine and put it into another PC. I got the same problems there. After backing up what needed to be backed up, I did a restore of Windows XP. Now the keyboard works. Just have to reinstall all of the applications, but at least I now know that it wasn't a hardware malfunction. Thanks for your assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users