Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Application Pop-up At Boot - Windows - Registry Recovery

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jasjim

jasjim

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:07 AM

Greetings! I've been getting this "Application Pop-up" message at boot for several weeks now and have been unable to find the source!

"Windows - Registry Recovery : One of the files containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful."

Details are shown below. My problem is, I don't know which driver for which program is the culprit. There must be a log somewhere, but I'm not that good, yet... and yes, it's because I can't leave well enough alone. My affliction is called "Munchhausen syndrome by proxy". I make the computer sick so I can come to the rescue and fix it....
-----
Event viewer:
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Application Popup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 26
Date: 03/24/2008
Time: 9:56:12 AM
User: N/A
Computer: PAVILION521N
Description:
Application popup: Windows - Registry Recovery : One of the files containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful.
--------
Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 26
Source: Application Popup
Version: 5.0
Symbolic Name: status_log_hard_error
Message: Unable to Load Device Driver : device driver could not be loaded.

Explanation
The program could not load a driver because the program user doesn't have sufficient privileges to access the driver or because the drive is missing or corrupt.

User Action - To correct this problem: Reinstall the program to restore the driver to the correct location.

Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: STATUS_LOG_HARD_ERROR

Explanation
The program could not load a driver because the program user doesn't have sufficient privileges to access the driver or because the drive is missing or corrupt.

User Action - To correct this problem: Ensure that the program user has sufficient privileges to access the directory in which the driver is installed.
Reinstall the program to restore the driver to the correct location.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ///

///

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:05 PM

Are you sure you messed up the registry with a registry cleaner? Or you could have a virus. In fact I have this problem too!

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:25 PM

Open Device Manager and expand all of the +'s. Look for any devices that have a red X or yellow exclamation point. Those would be the offending driver
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 jasjim

jasjim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:08 AM

Thank you for the responses. I use Registry First Aid. I MAY have deleted an entry...
In Device Manager, I had a yellow "?" under Display adapters. It was for the on-board Graphics Controller. I installed a PCI Graphics Card last Sept that replaced this one's function. After a few weeks I uninstalled the drivers for the old device. The "?" didn't go away so I recently disabled the device. Now I have a red "X", which makes sense.

With all that said, with this pop-up at boot, I would expect there's a log somewhere that specifically shows what was done. The message "One of the files containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful." should have details in a log.. i.e. the reg key, the data, or the device!!

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:01 PM

Safeboot and creating a bootlog in XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users