Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer "hangs" On Virus/ad/spy Scans

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 txmugglemama

txmugglemama

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:09 AM

:thumbsup: Hi everyone...bleepingcomputer newbie here, so please let me know if more info is needed. Here's the problem. About a month or so ago, my daily Norton Anti-Virus scan started "hanging". It usually happened around c:\windows\ie7\reg00561 (although the numbers following "reg" varied). I tried running an AdAware2007 scan...it hung too. As did SpySweeper, CA Anti-Virus and any other virus/ad/spyware scanner I tried. Since they all had issues, I thought that the problem might lay within Internet Explorer 7, so I tried to uninstall. I got as far as the point where it "Updates Registry"...it hung there just like with the scans. When it hangs, I have to turn the computer off at the on/off button with no "shutdown". So, I am at a loss as to what to do. My computer SEEMS to run OK, but I haven't been able to run any type of "security scan" in almost 6 weeks, so something is obviously wrong. Any help/ideas would be appreciated. Please let me know what else I should do or other info to provide for assistance. Thanks in advance. Tracy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:17 PM

If all of your scans are hanging up at the registry. I would suspect some type of corruption or infection. I do not believe in registry cleaners. I think it would be better if you posted HERE and see what our experts think
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users