Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Total System Memory

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Miljet

Miljet

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:14 AM

My daughter bought a new Gateway laptop (I don't remember the model) and brought it over for me to remove all the crapware before she started using it. I was looking at System Information and noticed that it only showed about 748 MB of total system memory even though the sticker on the laptop said that it had 1 Gig. I mentioned it to her so her husband took it back to Best Buy. They told him that the difference was being used by the integrated video. I have a Toshiba Satellite with 1 GB and integrated video and the System Information shows 1024 MB total system memory. I am confused. Shouldn't hers also show total installed memory?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:32 AM

It depends on where the viewer is looking...when he/she makes a note of it.

Total RAM installed flashes when the system boots...and it can also be found by looking at msinfo32 data (Start/Run..type msinfo32, hit OK). Total physical memory installed should be in window on right, near bottom.

If one just looks at the My Computer/Properties data, then it reflects the subtraction for any memory being used by video.

If one has a video card installed (doesn't use onboard) and has not allocated any RAM in the BIOS for video, then My Computer/Properties should reflect the true RAM.

Assuming that it's all installed correctly...

Louis

#3 Miljet

Miljet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:13 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply. I never thought to check the BIOS. I'll check it next time I'm over to her house. It makes more sense now.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,041 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:19 AM

There is a great utility call SIW which will show you the installed amount of RAM and the modules that are installed as well. It's free.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users