Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Combofix

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 surreyman

surreyman

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:51 AM

I followed instructions for combofix and ran and I now have a black screen with an arrow cursor and the system appears to be stuck. Is there any way I can get past this or am I out of luck? Can anyone please kindly advise what I should do next?
Many thanks for your advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,635 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:01 PM

Hi, surreyman :thumbsup:

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

In order to restore your computer, we will need the XP Installation CD to boot the computer to the Recovery Console.

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

At boot, you will be prompted with the following options:

A. To setup Windows XP, press Enter.
B. To repair Windows XP installation using recovery console, press R.

Choose the option, "To repair the Windows XP installation using recovery console", press R. If an Administrator Password have been established, you will be prompted to type it in. If no Administrator Password exists, just press ENTER.

You will be presented with the following:

Microsoft Windows® Recovery Console

The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

1: C:\WINDOWS

Which Windows Installation would you like to log onto
(To cancel, press ENTER)?

Press the number 1 on your keyboard and hit Enter.

At the command prompt, type the following command and press Enter:

cd erdnt\hiv-backup

At the next prompt, type the following bolded text, and press Enter:

batch erdnt.con

The erunt backups will begin copying.

Type exit when finished, and then press ENTER to quit Recovery Console. Remove the CD and let the computer start.

Let us know how it goes.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#3 surreyman

surreyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:00 PM

changed Bios to boot from XP CD and got to the point where I pressed R for repair and then got a message that the setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in my computer. (I have 2). Please advise what I should do next. Many thanks.,

#4 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,635 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:47 PM

You must enter the BIOS and make sure the Hard drive is being recognized. It should also be part of your startup, but as a second boot device. If the Hard drive is not being recognized in the BIOS, then it wont be recognized by Windows.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#5 surreyman

surreyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:34 PM

Thanks. I followed your instructions, plus I had to reinstall my driver for my control card and I am now back in business. Thank you very much for your help.

#6 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,635 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:06 PM

You are welcome!

I would suggest you open a topic in the Malware forum and have that computer check by one of the authorized team members:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Best wishes! Posted Image

btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users