Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Is Task Mgr. List Longer Than System Configration List

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Needinhelp

Needinhelp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:30 AM

Like so many, I need help with a slowing computer, and appreciate your site. Would someone please tell me why my Task Mgr. Processes list showed 54, and the System Configeration Utility showed only 23 that were checked? I already unchecked 14 of those, & have shutdown several times since, and now have 47 processes showing in Task Mgr. (??) Do I simply use the definitions on sysinfo.org and delete what I determine in Task Mgr? I wonder why the lists do not match?

Also, can someone suggest the best computer cleanup program, free, or otherwise for a medium knowledge user? And, I am wondering what my virtual memory should be at. I have a 1.7, with currently 640 MB ram. (I had to take out one stick when I learned the slot is bad). What should it be when I bring it back to 1 GH. I am running XP Pro, Ser. Pk 2. ..........Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 24,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:48 PM

Task Manage shows running processes - System Configuration shows several things in it's Startup and it's Services tabs.
The svchost.exe processes house (typically) between 1 and 25 other processes running beneath one instance of it.

The System Configuration tool is designed for troubleshooting, not for tuning your system. For tuning I'd suggest this free application: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users