Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downtime

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mooniniteman

mooniniteman

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:20 AM

I was just wondering if it's better to leave a computer on for long periods (a week or so) then to turn it off every few days.
Or does it depend on the system? thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:36 AM

Well i can tell you that my girlfriend never ever shuts hers off, drives me nuts since i'm the one that pays the electric bill. I shut mine off any time i'm done with it.

#3 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:46 AM

hi,,,,, its upto you realy,,, it wont hurt the comp being on all the time these days with modern systems,,,, it also wont hurt to shut it down every time your finnished with at the end of the day,,,,, i would recomend that you plug everything into anti surge addaptors though, incase you do leave it on while your out & there is a power surge or a storm,,,, i leave mine on untill im finnished with it at the end of the day,,,, with vista this helps the auto defrag & auto virus scanning when the system is in idle, take a look at this link for more info than you decide whats best for you
http://kb.iu.edu/data/adls.html
,,,, good luck
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:14 AM

The only thing I would think about in this case would be updates for Windows, you will need to reboot the computer for them to take effect.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:16 AM

It is better, both from a wear 'n' tear point of view and for the electric bill, to shut it down. Except, of course, if you are planning to shut it down and power it on every couple hours, then it is better to leave it on.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:46 PM

Coke Classic or new Coke
Less filling or taste great
Amd or Intel
The list goes on
:thumbsup:
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:22 PM

oh, oh
ATI nVidia

#8 mooniniteman

mooniniteman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:36 PM

Wa just wondering because it seems whenever a hardware/software issue comes up its because I turned off teh pc for a few hours. I power on and a problem occurs, lol :thumbsup:

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:01 PM

Problems don't work on schedule, they happen when users least expect it.

If you have any doubt about that, scan all the posts from users moaning the blues because they've had their systems at least 60 days and they STILL haven't got around to getting those restore CDs...or backing up the system :thumbsup:.

Louis

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:29 PM

I am starting to think people are afraid of the restore CD's like if they actually get them its going to "cause" there computer to crash. I personally leave all my computers on all the time. When there not in use they're Folding.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#11 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:27 PM

To be, or not to be,,,,, that was'nt the question,,,, sry
Figgis,,,, LUFC