Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vmware Versus Virtual Pc

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:17 AM

Hello, I am looking for an economical solution for a VM.

I have heard reports from many (including the Boss) that they like VMWare over Virtual PC. Both are free.

However, VMWARE server is the only free vmware, which, to my understanding, has issues with video (i.e., I want to run windows 98 to play old games).

Given that new versions of both programs have come out recently, I figured I'd reopen this issue.

So, which is the best choice?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:45 AM

Another free one: Virtual Box, which I'm experimenting with.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:56 AM

Hi Billy.
I'm currently using VMWare Workstation 6. It's hands down a cut above Virtual PC but not free.
Given that all you want to do is run Win98, Virtual PC would be the better choice between the two freebies you mentioned.

#4 TheNerd

TheNerd

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:30 PM

Virtual PC would definitely be the best choice for this use.

VMware Server is free but would provide way more than you need and is geared to be used in a bigger environment. Normally I recommend VMware and Parallels for more business/corporate type uses and Virtual PC and VirtualBox for home/small business use.

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:13 PM

I would say that VMware was the best, followed by virtual box, then virtual PC. I'm using Virtual Box now and would recommend it highly.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 mas_pogi

mas_pogi

Carpal Tunnel of Love

• Members
  • 1,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 03:57 AM

hi,

Virtual pc 2007 runs only on Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Tablet PC, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise, and Windows Vista Ultimate.

I have a pre-installed Windows vista premium. Maybe Ill try Virtual box. I'm still reading the manual before installing it.

I only have 1GB of RAm minus shared makes 894 MB...Im planning of running DSL that has small RAM requirement .

But still thinking if I'll install virtualbox.

M.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users