Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Laptop Is Slower Than Ever

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Crys

Crys

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:06 AM

So, I bought my laptop about 2 years ago I think, when I first got it I LOVED it, I had wanted a laptop for forever. It was running great but slowly started to run slower and slower. I finally decided to reformat the hard drive about 3-4 months ago and it seemed to help a little bit but now it is back to slow. It took me literally 20 minutes to finally be able to post this topic because it took that long to join. Pages take forever to load and because of it, I rarely use this computer anymore. So what I am wondering is could it be my RAM making it so slow or maybe lots of programs running in the background that don't need to be? I will list everything I think you may need to know. Also, I don't know how to get a list of my running processes without having to type them all in by hand, if there is another way please let me know.

Gateway MX3210 Notebook
Processor: Intel® Celeron® M Processor 360
1 MB L2 Cache | 1.4 GHz | 400 MHz FSB

Display Screen: 14-inch Widescreen Ultrabright WXGA TFT

Chipset : Via VN800

Memory: 256MB (1x256) 533MHz DDR2 SODIMM

Video: S3 UniChrome™ Pro Integrated Graphics Processor
Up to 64 MB Shared Video Memory

Audio: AC '97 2.3 Compliant Audio
Built-in Speakers
Hard Drive: 40 GB HDD (4200 RPM)

Optical Drive: CD-RW / DVD Combo
Write maximum: 24X CD-R/RW
Reads maximum: 24X CD-ROM, 8X DVD-ROM

Media Reader: 4-in-1 Digital Media Manager
Secure Digital, Memory Stick, Memory Stick-Pro, and MMC

Modem: 56K ITU V.92 ready Fax/Modem (RJ-11 port)

Network: 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
802.11g Wireless LAN (up to 54Mbps)
SecureEasySetup™

Interfaces: * 2 - USB 2.0 Ports
* 1 - VGA External Connector
* 1 - RJ11 (Modem)
* 1 - RJ45 (Ethernet LAN)
* Microphone In
* Headphone / Audio Out

Pointing Device: Touchpad with Vertical Scroll Zone

PCMCIA: 1 - Type I or Type II; Card Bus

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:45 AM

You're RAM is really low. You're effectively running 192MB of RAM. Barely enough to load an OS these days. you can pick some up dirt cheap here http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....2%29&DEPA=0 I'm sure someone will link www.crucial.com but its really preference.
You mentioned a bunch of junk programs running. You can keep those from running at startup. Start>Run>msconfig>Selective Startup and uncheck Load Startup Items. or click the last tab and manually cut out what you don't want to run.
Aside from that can just say run disk defrag regularly.
Buying a video card might help you out a little too, But unless you're gaming on it I'd just load as much RAM as you can into it and let the onboard take its share.

If you use the link i posted there to newegg. The best deal/quality is the $40 2x1G Crucial sticks. That's plenty to do most anything nowdays and more than enough to get your laptop up to snuff.

Edited by smurfgod, 24 March 2008 - 07:54 AM.

#3 Miljet

Miljet

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:59 AM

I agree that you need additional ram, badly. Also if you have installed and removed numerous programs, your registry is probably full of left-over entries that will really slow the computer. You might try running a good registry cleaner. I recommend CCleaner. It is free and you can get it from cnet.com.

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:28 AM

hi,, as regards your ram,,,, use the crucial scanning tool on the Crucial.com site to get the info on how much ram you can upgrade to and what type,,,, then like Smurfgod says go to newegg and buy it from them as its always cheeper and you can get differant brands. good luck

also you ccould download Auslogics disc defrag while your on cnet and run a defrag,,,, this program is alot quicked and more thorough than windows defrag

http://www.cnet.com/
good luck ,,,, again,,,lol

Edited by figgis41, 24 March 2008 - 08:32 AM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 Crys

Crys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:23 AM

I ran CCleaner and it got rid of a lot of registry stuff and a little more than 24MB of other crap like cookies and cache. I also have the Clean Cache program, does CCleaner have everything that has and make it so I just need Ccleaner? I haven't downloaded Auslogics disc defrag yet but I am working on it now. I can't tell yet if it has helped any but I can't imagine it hasn't helped at least a little. I still feel like I may just have a lot of processes running because I have gotten the low virtual memory warning just trying to open a webpage and write in notepad at the same time.

Edited by Crys, 24 March 2008 - 09:28 AM.

#6 Miljet

Miljet

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:55 AM

I've never run Clean Cache so can't comment on it. I have tried several other registry cleaners, but like CCleaner best. You may want to see how much disk space you have allotted for virtual memory and try increasing it. Also check to see how full your hard disk is. If it is pretty full, try deleting some unused programs to give your virtual memory more room.

#7 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:10 PM

read above to kill your processes

#8 Crys

Crys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:38 PM

smurfgod: I actually didn't see your original post, I am so blind :thumbsup: I have already used the startup list here to stop everything that doesn't need to run from running. I am going out today to buy a new 1GB stick of RAM because it is all this will take, I also upped my virtual memory 300MB to 400MB. Things seem to be running a little better now but I know as soon as I get the RAM, things will be great! Oh and I got the Auslogics defrag and ran it, thanks so much for all the help.

#9 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:34 PM

hi,,,, also you could shut down unneeded services to help get some resorces back,,,,, go to a site called the black viper and look for the services for your os,,, xp or vista,,, i always wright down the one's i change,,, ie ,,,, auto,, manual ,,, off,,, just incase i make a balls up so i can put it back,,,,,, more ram is a must though you will see the diferance there streight away,,,,, good luck
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users