Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying A New Graphics Card And Tv Tuner

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jhow

Jhow

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:04 AM

I want to add a discrete graphics card to my pretty much stock HP Pavilion a6130 (the only thing I added was a hard drive so far). I do not do much gaming but I want to hook the card up to my 32" HD TV and get a good quality picture and I would also like to make my computer into a DVR. I definitely want to have an HDMI out to the computer and I want a TV Tuner so I can make my computer into a DVR. I'm overwhelmed looking at newegg.com at all the different graphics cards and I haven't really even begun to look through all the TV tuner cards. On the Graphics card I don't want to spend any more than $160 and preferably a little less, as for the tv tuner I want something decent but I don't want to have to shell out too much but I do want a remote control. I would like to get some input on what you would recommend for each and please take into consideration if space in my case will be an issue.

Running Windows Vista(primarily)/Ubuntu
AMD X2 5000+ 2.6ghz
3GB RAM
400GB Vista Hard drive/500GB Ubuntu Hard Drive/ 1TB external

This is the computer series:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF...8-80230663.html

Here's a comparison of some I was looking at but please feel free to recommend something totally different.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompa...120&bop=And

And please give me some input on a good tv tuner to pick up.

I also would like to add that I'm always looking for the best deal and am open to buying on pretty much any site (as long as it's legit). Also I don't mind spending a little more even if I probably can get away with a really low end card because I don't want to have to upgrade anytime soon and I may do some casual gaming at some point.

Edited by Jhow, 24 March 2008 - 12:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:54 PM

I personally would Recommend an Nvidia 8600 GTS (Make sure its the HDCP ready) for the video card. I would have recommended an ATI all-in-wonder but they don't make them anymore. That video card will support High Definition TV's and will play any Dx10 game available. You will want to check the compatible resolutions of you TV with the resolutions of the video card that you ultimately choose and make sure there compatible. Also Does your TV have HDMI, DVI, Component, or S-Video input you will need to make sure your video card has the right connections. Most have all of them accept the HDMI a few will include these too. As for a TV tuner card You will need a Digital ready tuner card and if you are going to watch Cable TV you may need one that accepts a Cable card. If you have satellite it will be different. I personally do not have much exp with tuner cards but with broadcast going digital I know the card will need to be digital in order to use it as a media center tuner.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:12 PM

EVGA 8800GS is $109 after rebate.

8800GS

Edited by Lucky23, 25 March 2008 - 11:42 AM.

Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:09 AM

Lucky could you provide a link for the OP too check into that with?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Jhow

Jhow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:24 AM

My Tv has RGB and HDMI but I want to use the HDMI ports.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users