Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Browsing/email Delete Functions/printer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chaela

chaela

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:57 PM

I found this website by trying to search for a way to figure out what was wrong with my computer. I seem to have every problem username krazykate had and would love some help in solving it on my computer. I probably can't think of everything wrong right now, but here's a first list of problems:
I cannot select "reply", "reply all", "forward", "report as spam", or "delete" from my comcast inbox. I have to open each e-mail individually to delete them.
There are several websites I cannot access. For example, if I type in www.meetup.com, I get the message, "Sorry, we couldn't find http://www.meetup.com/. "
I randomly get an error box that pops up stating unable to find the driver for my printer.
I cannot view the videos I download from my memory card, although I can hear them.
I get many error messages from Skype that the plug-in did not work and then all my internet windows close down.
It seems like there are more problems, but that's all I can think of for now.
For security I have the free versions of AVG, Ad-Aware, Spy-bot, and Zone Alarm.
Thanks for any help in these problems!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:07 AM

The first thing I can tell is to uninstall spybot. See if the situation with webmail icons is resolved.
One thing that keeps coming through about this issue with Comcast webmail is an ad-blocking function of Spybot.
I encourage you to head to the Comcast help forums. Look for the topics in Email which discuss this problem-there are quite a few.

Comcast offers a help forum for it's customers-it's mostly a user-to-user forum.

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/

You'll have to sign in with your user name. Then you'll be taken to a page where you will need to choose a screen name. Once you've done that, you'll have access to the forums.
Specifically, you may want to go to the email forum, and find the threads titled

Cannot Delete Email Message Without Opening First and
Unable to use "select all" or delete - Assistant never loads

There might be something you can try. It seems that the issue may have something to do with Norton and Spybot, at least there are some users who report trying the fixes for Norton seems to clear up the problem. But the other side of the coin is that it affects people who don't use either of these programs. If nothing else, you will be able to see that you are not alone in experiencing the icons in webmail.

edit to add: the Comcast forum is a good resource if you are having issues with Comcast. We see a lot of posters who have issues tech support can't solve, but do get solved in the forum. Some of us bypass tech support and go straight to the forum for help.

I noticed you have Spybot installed on your computer?
Just a few minutes ago I did a test. Since Spybot was mentioned as a cause of the greyed out icons, I decided to uninstall Spybot. After the uninstall and a reboot, I sent a test mail to myself at my Comcast email address. Checked it using webmail. Lo and behold, when I put a check mark in the box next to the mail in the inbox, the delete and report as spam buttons became bold and worked.
I had discounted Spybot as the cause because I don't have it set to run on startup or in the background. If I want to use it, I'll click on the desktop icon and open it myself. I thought it had to be open for the issue to occur, apparently I was wrong. If you have Spybot, uninstall it and see if that resolves your issue with mail. Who knows, it might clear up another problem or two.
I've also asked if there are any settings in Spybot that need to be changed.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 24 March 2008 - 01:18 AM.

#3 chaela

chaela
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:31 AM

Thanks for your reply! Actually....and this is crazy, but apparently something I did yesterday in trying to figure out how to fix my computer, actually solved the Comcast "delete" problem! And I didn't delete Spybot. Since this is fixed do you still think Spybot is a problem? Problems I still have:
1. Still getting an RTL pop-up box saying, "Unable to start driver for HPhipm09.exe (HPhipm09.exe).
2. Still cannot view videos (using Windows Media Player) although I can hear them. Something related to a codec maybe??
3. Still having IE close down frequntly with a message stating, "internet explorer has encountered a problem with an add-on and needs to close. The add-on is SkypeIEPlugin.dll.
4. Still cannot get onto several websites, for example meetup.com. This is the most frustrating right now.
Any help with these problems??
Thanks!

Edited by chaela, 25 March 2008 - 12:38 AM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:54 AM

My knowledge is limited to the Comcast webmail issues.
Someone else will have to advise you on the others.
Please keep the Comcast help forums in mind for future use.
We can help you with any vendor specific issues or questions
you might have.

#5 chaela

chaela
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:10 PM

Ok Thanks! Will anyone else be able to help me with my other problems or do I need to move this post? I'm new to this website.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:05 PM

Your topic doesn't need to be moved.
I wish I could help you with your issues, but they are out of my league.
What I will do-put out a call for help. Hopefully there will be someone who can work with you to resolve these problems.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:32 AM

1. Have you tried downloading, and installing, the latest driver?

3. Have you tried updating, or disabling, the SkypeIEPlugin plug-in:
Open IE.
At the top, click Tools, and select Manage Add-ons...
Just follow the direction at the bottom of the Manage Add-ons... box.

4. Are these secure websites, that you have problems connecting to?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users