Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Picture Icons Not Showing Up Anymore

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TheNerd

TheNerd

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:57 PM

I have Windows Vista Home Premium installed on my HP Pavillion Laptop and now when I go into the Pictures folder the icons for the folders and pictures don't show up as thumbnails anymore. They just show as blank with the file name below the empty space. It appears that sometimes some thumbnail icons for the pictures load but more often than not they are all blank.

I recently installed some windows updates but have since removed them with no result. I also tried searching Google and wasn't able to find a solution.\

Any ideas?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcp411

jcp411

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:21 PM

Is this happening in every folder with photos in it? Or just some? Or certain directories? Is it happening to every single photo in each folder or just some of the photos in each folder?

<thinking out loud here>It could be some folder options setting for just some of the folders or a view setting...

#3 TheNerd

TheNerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:54 PM

It happens mostly in the Pictures directory. When you view the pictures through an application like in an open or save box it shows the thumbnails. I've checked all the settings I can think of and it doesn't seem to help.

It happens to most of the files in the the Pictures folder but sometimes if you scroll down to the bottom there are a few at the end of the list that show up with the proper thumbnails.

#4 TheNerd

TheNerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:37 AM

The funny thing is that I when I chance the view to Extra Large Icons then back to Large Icons it sometimes shows the thumbnails afterwards.

It's really weird. Is there anyway to rebuild the picture database on Vista?

#5 jcp411

jcp411

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:53 PM

Start here: http://www.vistalounge.com/?p=41
and
http://www.google.com/search?q=thumbnails+...FA_enUS215US235

#6 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:37 PM

Hi, go to >explore all users (right click on the Visat orb) >tools> folder options>view>and click on restore defaults.

Edited by Monty007, 26 March 2008 - 09:38 PM.

MCP
MSDST

#7 TheNerd

TheNerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:50 AM

well I tried both what jcp411 and Monty007 suggested without result. I also noticed that the desktop background is no longer showing and I am unable to change it. I don't see the picture previews when I try and change the bg as well.

I'm completely baffled.

#8 jcp411

jcp411

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 03:53 PM

Came across this... not sure if it'll work but, worth a try.

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup > All Users (or I guess you could just do one account) > let it do the scan on your HD, and then in the list that comes up one of the options is to delete the thumbnails. They'll be automatically created if needed again.

Let us know how it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users