Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Keeps Crashing When Try Launch A Program

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vartain

Vartain

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:24 PM

Windows XP SP2 Home Edition Ver. 2002

Several months ago I was able to play Sacred without any problems and now that I want to come back to it, the computer reboots itself everytime I launch the game, whether through the cd or the respective executable file. The sreen goes black like the game is loading up, then the computer restarts. So far that I have found, this one program/game is the only one that causes my computer to reboot, everything else works fine.

On another forum, I was advised to make a change so I could see the error code and also some possible explanations as to the cause of the problem. Since I had recently added some RAM, I was also advised to run a memtest program. It came back without any errors. Also ran Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware 2007, but the problem persisted. I ran a number of virus scans (some online freescans and a couple I downloaded for a trial period), i.e: McAfee freescan, TrendMicro, Avast, Nod... But nothing showed as infected in any way, and the problem still persists.

In light of all of this, it was brought up that I may possibly have something called the HaxDoor virus, which also does not show up on virus scans. And as far as they and I know, there is no definitive way to find out if I do have it or not.

As such, I come here in hopes that perhaps there is someone here who could help me with this problem and perhaps see a different angle to go at it or suggest something that I have not yet tried that would finally put an end to this. On a note, I no longer have my XP cd and so reinstalling Windows XP isn't an option, and one I would find great difficulty in enacting anyway because of my current lack of ability to back up my information of value.

On crashing because of the problem, after a change so the PC wouldnt reboot, just get the BSOD, it listed this as the error code:

STOP: 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0XA6B34882, 0XA80579AC, 0X00000000)

PCD65X8.SYS - ADDRESS A6B34882 BASE AT A6B26000, DATESTAMP 4010E4A4

I have been told that the PCD65X8.SYS file has some history as part or cause of problems for others, with a search of my computer, (though I dont know if this would have any impact on this particular problem) i found other files similar except for the last numeral: PCD65X2.SYS, PCD65X4.SYS, PCD65X5.SYS, PCD65X6.SYS, PCD65X7.SYS, PCD65X8.SYS

In note, all of those files listed there are found in a temp folder: C:\Documents and Settings\(omitted)\Local Settings\Temp
and not in a Windows\system or Windows\system32 folder.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated and thank you very much for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vartain

Vartain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:47 PM

I just moved all those PCD65X~.SYS files into a folder on the desktop and retried to start the game, but got another stop but with 1 change in the code, it seems that the PCD65X~.SYS files are just all the times that I have gotten the BSOD, since this time it had a 9 instead of an 8 which is an entirely new file.

#3 Vartain

Vartain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:00 PM

anybody have any kind of idea?

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:13 PM

See this link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330187

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users