Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Here's One For The Books!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cassiexoxo

cassiexoxo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:12 PM

I think I have a virus. It started happening about a month ago. The first thing that I noticed in Network Connections, my card was missing half of the information. It didn't say underneath it that it was Enabled or Disabled.. and it did not have the type of card that it is written underneath it. It only listed the name of the connection. When I Right-clicked it to go to the Properties, I clicked Properties, the Properties box does not come up, at all.

I even tried to go to Event Viewer to find out what was going on, and when I right-click the events to go to Properties, again, the same thing occurs. The properties box does not come up, and I can't get to the properties to see what's going on.

Now, things are really starting to go crazy. My task bar disappeared. The icons on my desktop disappeared. My Anti-Virus software says that components are missing, or have been uninstalled, and it says to please re-install the software. So, I re-installed my Anti-Virus software, but Now, I cannot retrieve any of the Updates, and, it won't let me uninstall the anti-virus software. So I just about had enough of this, and I wiped the whole hard drive out. I ran killdisk, the free version, twice. I reinstalled windows,... got all of the updates for windows AND my anti-virus software. I scanned my computer with my anti-virus software. It said that I had NO viruses, and that everything was O.K.

The next day, the same problem I was having before started happening again, just in a little different order this time. First, the task bar disappeared, then I couldn't get my updates. It said that my anti-virus software was corrupt, With something new this time. It said, I had no administrator rights ON the administrator account. I once again uninstalled my anti-virus software. This way, not to have any conflicts with attempting to use Free versions of anti-virus software off the internet. The new anti-virus software could also not find any viruses on my computer. I even tried scanning my computer through certain websites to find the virus. Every program I ran to try and find this virus quit half-way though the scan. The virus killed the Internet scans half way through it.....

I have tried everything in my power to try and detect this virus, but nothing has seemed to work. I got fed up because nothing could find the virus, so I wiped out the hard drive, Again, and did a clean install. BUT... before I wiped the hard drive this time, I took the battery out of the Motherboard. I took the memory out, too. I unplugged the Power supply, unplugged EVERYTHING... No power, what so ever now. I left it all unplugged for a Half hour. After that, I put everything back together, Cleared the CMOS, ... reinstalled windows, got all of my updates.... reinstalled my anti-virus... got all of their updates... and the next day... Here we go!.. Low and behold.... I had the virus again.

I've read one million posts from other people that have had similar problems, but none of their fixes seem to work for me. But, most of the posts on this site had some of the same problems...but their fixes did not work, either. So.... could someone Please help me? I am at my wits end.. this is my 3rd hard drive.... and second anti-virus program. Nothing seems to be finding this thing.

Now, by clearing the memory and wiping the hard drive out, even after fixing the boot sectors, something tells me that this virus is hiding somewhere on my hard drive. Am I on the right track here?

Please help me. I can't afford another hard drive. I want to try and fix my current ones.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:45 PM

Hello, and welcome to bleeping computer.

Before we do anything I must need to know what microsoft office you are using. To download Rookitrevelear you must have windows XP or higher.

I have read your promblem and it seems that the virus is hiding from your hard-drive. I suggest you use rookitrevealer if you do not have one please download it. Here is the linke:Rookitrevelar. After you have downloaded the rookitrevealer double click it and then start scaning. It will start a scan(it may take several minutes). I haven't used the rookitrevealer for a fairly long time so I think that once you can't abort that means the scan is complete. Once the scan is complete delete any suspicous or names that you are not familiar with.
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 cassiexoxo

cassiexoxo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:51 PM

I have windows XP. However, if I download that, I will have to download it a bit later.

#4 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:10 AM

What do you mean by downloading it later. Even if you need to download it later, it's good to download it because it's very usefull for tracking hidden malwares.
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:27 PM

I don't recommend RKR for novice users unless familiar with the tool and how to read its logs. Your issue will require further investigation. Before that can be done you will need you to create and post a hijackthis log.

Please see the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". In step #9 there are instructions for downloading HijackThis and creating a log. (This is a self-extracting version which will automatically install the current version of HJT in the proper location.) If using Windows Vista, be sure to Run As Administrator.

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. Please include the top portion of the HijackThis log that lists version information. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix. After doing this, we would appreciate if you post a link to your log back here so we know that your getting help from the HJT Team.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users