Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Printer?!?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 06:41 PM

Sorry for the double thread. I wrote it in the wrong category. I have XP Pro sp1

I had to replace the SPOOLSV.exe file in system32 with a clean file because it had been infected by a trojan. Since this controls things like the printer, now, my printer driver doesn't work anymore and I don't even see the printer in the device manager, unless I ask to show "hidden devices". I can't uninstall the driver nor install it back with my CD. It doesn't show in Control Panel either. So, if I want to print something, it says I must install a printer.

Any idea? What can I do? Help me please, I really need to print something fast!

Thank you

Edited by karbo1, 23 March 2008 - 06:41 PM.

Please post back if we found the solution

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 06:52 PM

Hi, I would go through control panel>printers and add a new printer. It should install fine.
MCP
MSDST

#3 karbo1

karbo1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 06:57 PM

I can't be done. It gives an error message.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:01 PM

What error message do you get?

#5 karbo1

karbo1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:50 AM

Nothing. It only says impossible to continue.

#6 karbo1

karbo1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:52 AM

Someone suggested installing Windows installer cleanup. I don't know if it could work. I've already tried CCleaner without success.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:59 AM

Have you tried physically uninstalling it, turn the computer on and off, reinstall it, turn it back on and see if it's recognized by the install wizard as new hardware?

You also install SP2, that will help some with the infections.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 ///

///

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:29 PM

Yes get SP2 or SP3 RC2 and get all the latest updates and scan your computer for errors. And remove junk files with cleanup tool etc. If nothing works maybe even try a registry cleaner ( not recommended just try ccleaner's registry cleaner)

#9 karbo1

karbo1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:09 PM

I don't think I'll be able to fix this thing. I'll have to get a XP Pro sp2 disk and reformat everything. That will make the ultimate cleanup!

I've tried CCleaner. Doesn't do anything. Never did either. Those programs don't do much. Wouldn't be worth paying for. So many others like it...

Edited by karbo1, 24 March 2008 - 03:11 PM.

#10 karbo1

karbo1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:21 PM

Tried Windows installer cleanup. It doesn't work either, like CCleaner's function that does the same thing. Anymore ideas before I go buy a version of sp2? As for sp3, didn't even know it existed! It took a while before sp2 could work, I imagine it will take also a while for sp3... Don't think I'll take that chance right now, especially with a 8 year old computer like mine. Might get trouble finding all my drivers...

Thank you

Edited by karbo1, 24 March 2008 - 07:25 PM.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:20 AM

SP3 isn't as invasive as SP2 was - but it hasn't been released yet AFAIK

2 things can cause major problems when installing SP2 - malware or incompatible drivers. If you think you're infected, now isn't the time to get SP2 installed. But if you decide to reformat, then SP2 should be the first thing that you install.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 karbo1

karbo1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:38 AM

I see no reason not to reformat. I made my backups for the files I want to keep. If I go through the trouble of buying SP2 and reinstalling Windows XP, I will surely clean everything up at the same time.

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:48 AM

You won't have to buy SP2, your SP1 disk and a downloaded copy of SP2 will work just fine. Here's a link on how to slipstream SP2 into your SP1 disk: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windo..._slipstream.asp
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 karbo1

karbo1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:24 AM

That would be great. Thank you for the link. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of XP sp1. I only have image CDs and a boot disk. Also, since it was a corporate version I got at work a few years back, the license is expired and the key has been blocked by Microsoft. I can't even make updates anymore. So, a new complete version of sp2 is well over due...

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:39 AM

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/Skusearch.hmx?scriteria=AA15060

About as cheap as I can find today.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users