Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Trouble

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jesterbones123

jesterbones123

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 04:57 PM

okay so i built a computer a lil while back and my parents computer died so i took their memory and hard drive and added to mine in hopes to make one working computer but theirs was a dell soo i cant use it until i wipe the drive now the whole reason i didnt use the one i built is it needed a hard drive cause it was a 15 gig from a millenium ago. so i figured i wipe this one and install xp on it well i dont have a workin computer to make a disk so i tried t use the windows system restore disc and since that didnt work i made a bootable floppy and then put zapdisk on it turned my computer on and went to bios told it to boot the removeable drive being the floppy drive first and it wont boot i dont know if i made the disk wrong or what but i just formatted it as a ms dos bootable disk and then copied zapdisk on it im not sure what im doing wrong i hope someone can help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 06:23 PM

If you have a windows XP cd it will format the drive when you install it. You shouldn't need to format before then. If you don't have an windows XP cd how did you intend on getting windows on it?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 jesterbones123

jesterbones123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:11 PM

it had xp on i as a dell but since it was a dell its formatted for dell so since it is a computer i made the motherboard isnt dell oriented. When i start the computer bios starts ect ect...then it says it cant run windows asks me if i want to start windows normally or go in safe mode. no matter what i choose it just goes to a blue then flashes black an restarts the computer which is why i was trying to wipe the drive with zapdisk so i can install xp again on a clean drive. and reformat it. but the floppy drive wont boot the disk and the system restore disc doesnt boot it just goes to the screen on how i want to start windows

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:08 AM

Even if you format the drive you won't be able to use the Dell Cd for the new computer you will have to buy a new version of windows XP or Vista to use on the new computer. Do you have another version of windows XP besides the restore disc for the dell?

Chad Mockensturm 

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,041 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:01 AM

If the original hdd was 15GB the BIOS of the motherboard may not support a hdd that large.

How do you have the two computers connected?

Would you please post the make and model of your motherboard.

Edited by dc3, 24 March 2008 - 10:03 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 jesterbones123

jesterbones123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:45 PM

Well th hdd is from a way older computer i just saved it but the board is a chaintech CT-7NJL6 its amd socket A with a sempron 2800 its older but just a solution till my parents can afford a new one. Also ive used the dell restore disc previously when i wiped another hdd i just cant activate windows cause the computer isnt a dell all i have is a vista upgrade soo my plan was to install windows then upgrade to vista. So im pretty much going on here with my ps3 trying to get it running i never really had a problem booting zapdisk ive wiped a couple drives before just i dont know what im doing wrong. Lastly the 2 computers aren connected its just that the video card in the dell burnt out and its integrated with no slot for another vid card. so i took the memory out of it and the hdd hoping to wipe the hdd and just put windows on it. but when i boot it the floppy with zapdisk wont boot it will sit there wait a second then go boot from cd the skip that no matter if theres a restore disk or not and go to how i want to start windows. lastly yes i do have the floppy drive connected properly.

Edited by jesterbones123, 24 March 2008 - 09:50 PM.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:13 AM

Is the floppy the primary boot device? I will have to run this past the powers that be but using your dell CD to get another computer working even though you have the vista key may be a little to close to an EULA violation. I will post this topic for review and it may be closed. Sorry for any inconvenience but this is a strict policy to protect the website.

Chad Mockensturm 

#8 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:58 PM

Firstly Dell uses hidden partitions to use with the restore disk.
If zapdisk started wiping that drive my guess is those partitions
are now gone and the restore disk is never going to work on that
drive. You will need to purchase a new copy of Windows.
Is the system able to boot from the CD drive? Check in the BIOS.
An excellent program for drive wiping is called: dban (google it)
If this is an older pc i would suggest trying Linux (it's free) and it
won't get you in trouble with EULA issues that we can't discuss.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#9 jesterbones123

jesterbones123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:21 AM

hah i never payed attention to what that user license agreement was but thanks for that..umm the board does support bootable cd drive...and it does boot ...but i cant even boot zapdisk off the floppy which is part of my other question i formatted the floppy to make it bootable unzipped zapdisk and put it on the floppy so i would assume it should work cause ive done it before but it was a while back it just wont boot the floppy and its set to boot i set it soo it boots the devices first and not the network..i have a copy of xp pro but iits scratched to hell and back and will freeze during install. and own vista but like i said its a upgrade. i think my parents are just gonna buy a new one and i wlill just build a better one cause that ones outdated and a half but hah i dunno. might just get a laptop this ps3 online thing is killin me hah no flash player....it sucks..

Edited by jesterbones123, 26 March 2008 - 12:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users