Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer Error Message

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Cyberman

Cyberman

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 02:49 PM

Windows Explorer Error Message:
After formatting my computer, installing windows xp pro sp2 and office 2007 pro, downloading all windows and office update, and installing all other required software ...etc, an error message keeps appearing on my desktop. I cannot be sure what triggers it? It occurs immediately after I close any opened folder. I am not certain this happens all the time. The error message is the following:
[Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience].
And here are the details of the error signature:
AppName: explorer.exe
AppVer: 6.0.2900.3156
NodName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0
Offset: 029f16d3
After I close this error message, the task bar and desktop momentarily disappears and then reappears again. If I ignore it, I could go on working with my computer as if nothing happens. I may have multiple instances of this error message. In the worst scenario but rarely I get a Dr. Watson postmortem debugger saying it has encounter a problem and it needs to close, sorry for the inconvenience, after that my pc freezes up and nothing works I would have to use Ctrl>Alt>delete to restart my computer.
I tried your post at: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/136238/windows-explorer-freezes/
But it didn’t help at ll.
Here are the things I have done. I tried to google some solutions for this problem and I applied various tweaks suggested in a couple of these solutions but with no luck. I ran my anti virus and I even used bitdender online scan, and spybot search and destroy to remove spyware. I even used the command prompt "sfc /scannow" to fix the registry and "sfc /scannow" with the Windows XP CD to check and rebuild any windows corrupt files, but without any luck at all. The message keeps coming. I don’t want to format my computer and go through all those subsequent time consuming steps again. Somebody please help me.
Just in case you need it, here is the info about my computer:
Motherboard and CPU: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00 GHz1.99 GHz
RAM: 512 MB, 184-pin RIMM, PC800 for Intel D850GB Motherboard
Hard Drives: have 80 GB hard desk with two partitions and an external usp 500 GB drive with power.
I know my computer is old but it is reliable and never gave serious problems. This is the first time I get this kind of Windows Explorer problem. By the way do I need to post a hijack this report? Somebody please help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 junax

junax

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:12 PM

Cyberman;

well is not a solution your PC problem but i want share with you that what you have experience on you PC is also the same problem i counter everytime i click my enternet explorer and error message will also display. I ried to download version but the problem is still on. So same with you i need help to anybody who could help us to troubleshoot this problem. Is this a virus or what ?....

#3 junax

junax

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:13 PM

Cyberman;

well is not a solution your PC problem but i want share with you that what you have experience on you PC is also the same problem i counter everytime i click my enternet explorer and error message will also display. I ried to download new version but the problem is still on. So same with you i need help to anybody who could help us to troubleshoot this problem. Is this a virus or what ?....

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 05:54 PM

When this error happens and if you are able to remain on the computer, open the Event Viewer and look for errors around the time that it happened
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Cyberman

Cyberman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:19 PM

garmanma,

I opened the Error Properties for both the System Log and the Application Log in the event viewer.
Here is the description of Warning on the System Event Viewer Log
Event (only relevant info): Source: Disk Category: None Type: Warning Event ID: 51
Description:"An error detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during paging operation"

Here is the application error log:
Event (only relevant info): Source: Application Error Category: None Type: Error Event ID: 1000
Description: "Faulting application explorer exe, version 6.0.2900, faulting module unkknown, version 0.0.0.0 fault address 0x02d616d3"

I opened the the link provided in the event viewer: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlik/ents.asp.
From there I followed the link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244780/en-us
but for a newbie like me this huge amount of info amd links sounds like chinese to me. The only thing a figured out is that I've got an I/O communication problem between my system and one or maybe all of my hard desks. I appreciate it if you or someone else can make sense out of this info and guide me to way out of this annoying error message.

#6 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:37 PM

Sounds like a RAM problem to me, what do you think, garmanma?

Download Memtest86+ with another computer from here and burn it to a cd. Do not burn the file to a cd, unzip it and burn the image inside as a disk image.

Boot the machine to that and let it run for a couple of hours. (The test runs forever if uninterrupted.) See if you get any errors.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:47 PM

I agree on running memtest
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#8 ///

///

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:11 PM

you can get this if your computer doesn't have enough memory or the CPU strength is low. Get at least 1 gb memory and a CPU with more ghz. Your computer is not really meant for downloading things if it has 512 mb ram :flowers: and 1.99-2.0 ghz. Or your PC might have a virus :thumbsup:

#9 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:44 PM

you can get this if your computer doesn't have enough memory or the CPU strength is low. Get at least 1 gb memory and a CPU with more ghz. Your computer is not really meant for downloading things if it has 512 mb ram :flowers: and 1.99-2.0 ghz. Or your PC might have a virus :thumbsup:

This error cannot be caused by low ram, only by errors in ram.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:07 AM

"An error detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during paging operation"

This suggests to me that there could be a corruption of the paging file, a corruption of the file system on the disk, or a problem with the disk itself.

To fix a corrupt paging file (after running MemTest above), go to Start...Control Panel (Classic View)...System...Advanced tab...Performance Settings button...Advanced tab...Virtual Memory Change button
Copy down the settings that are there (you'll restore them later on).
Then click on the No Paging File radio button, then on "Set", then on OK 3 times to close the dialogs. You should get a message that you have to restart for the settings to take effect. Go ahead and reboot - the go back in and restore the old settings, then reboot for it to recreate your paging file.

To fix a corrupted file system, go to Start...Run...and type in "D:" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Then type in "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes) and press Enter. This will check your D: drive for errors. Then type in "C:" (without the quotes) and press Enter, then type in "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes) and press Enter. This should give you a message that the disk is locked and will ask you if you want to schedule it for the next reboot - choose "Y" for yes and then reboot and let chkdsk run.

To test your physical hard drive for a problem, you'll have to download a utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive (usually free) and run it to test the hard drive.

Edited by usasma, 25 March 2008 - 12:08 AM.
added stuff

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Cyberman

Cyberman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:31 PM

Hi You All,
Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestions. I will apply them soon as a precuasionary measure. Somehow my problem of the Windows Explorer error message has disappeared completely. I thought of doing some repair and cleaning on my own. First I opened the case of computer, cleaned the accumulated dust, and checked the various cables and power connection to make sure nothing is loose. These measures didn't solve the problem. Then I ran desk doctor in TuneUp Utilities 2008 and I chose the thorough scan. It finished scanning and repairing the D Drive, but it had to reboot to finish scanning the C Drive. I dind't see any mention of bad sectors in both scan, and I am not sure I saw any fixing of errors. This scan didn't get rid of the problem either. Finally I thought of backing up my files to my external drive (500 GB) just in case I plan to format. I moved some large files (Pdfs and avis) from D to the External Drive. (I didn't back up to have more free space because I had about 5GB of free space on D before moving files). Viola! That did it. the problem is gone forever.
I have a question for Billy O'Neal, I have Hiren's Boot CD and it has a valuable programs called HDD Regenerator. I used it to fix the bad sector on my laptop. The downside of this program is that it needs at least 24 hours to do the job. My question is: does Memtest86+ do the same job as the HDD Regenerator?

#12 Cyberman

Cyberman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:56 PM

Billy O'Neal,
I think I goofed in my question, It should be clear from their names that the two software are diffrent. Memtest86+, I guess, check ram for errors while HDD Regenerator searches for and fixes bad sectors. Am I correct? Memtest86+ is a good software to have. I've just downloaded it and I'll give it a try later. But I don't think my ram caused the problem.
Also I don't think I had any bad hard desk with bad sectors which if exist could cause the problem. In my humble opinion, I think it has to do with the paging file as suggested by usasma.

I have a question for usasma. After the problem has gone, do you still advise me to go through with your two suggestion to fix the paging file and repair my hard desks? Or as the saying goes: if it works, don't tinker with it.
Thanks to all.

#13 Cyberman

Cyberman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:33 AM

Hi eveyone,

I was dead wrong. The same Winddows Explorer error message "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" repparead again and this time it wont go away.

It happens when I close an open a folder or an open drive and even after I close the recyle Bin. There is a way around it though. if I keep one drive or folder open (I usaully minimize it but this is not necessary), it wont happen no matter how many drives or folder I open and then close.

I tried all steps suggested in this post but without any success. It seems to me that the only way out is to format and start all over again hoping this problem wont happen again.

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:10 PM

Is that the only thing the error says? There's no numbers or anything listed? Nothing extra to click on?
Try turning off Error Reporting and see if it gives you any information when it happens

Edited by garmanma, 26 March 2008 - 01:10 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#15 Cyberman

Cyberman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:23 AM

It seems that this same old windows explorer error message will keep haunting me for ever. I've just waisted yesterday and all last night in starting all over again you-know-what: formatting and installing windows, office and all other software and updating all that. Everything went smoothly until I've installed "EventID 4226 Patcher Version 2.23d (english)" from this link: http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=downloads#4226patch/ to increase the number of simultaneous connection in windows xp sp 2 from 10 to 50. And that did it. It immediately triggered the same old [Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience] error. Now I have learned from my mistake. At least I know the cause of the problem, but unfortunately I don't know how to solve it. I tried to undo what I have done by running th patcher again to reverse the situation by going back to 10 simultaneous connection instead of the desired 50, but the error message did not go away. Please somebody help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users