Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Shortcut Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tinae54

tinae54

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:55 PM

hi
please help everytime i try to go into limewire this notice keeps popping up on my screen
the target''' of this internet shortcut is not valid go to the internet shortcut property sheet
and make sure the target is correct, but i do not know what is suppose to say , i have tried
removing limewire and then reinstailing it but this does not work i do not know much about computers
only got it a few months ago never used one before that limewire useto work ok please please help me !!!

thank u

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 06:23 PM

Hi and welcom :thumbsup:
one might ask from which sourse you have attempted to download limewire which is, you will know, a program that assists amongst 'other' things in the use of P2P downloads?

one may also ask what your computer windows version is, what antivirus protection is on board and other protection programs?when last fully updated and run?

may one ask what you are seeking to use this P2P program for ?

#3 tinae54

tinae54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 06:39 PM

hi i'll try and get this right i downloaded limewire through google, my anti virus are avg and windows defender
and i just wanted to download some music and movies and im on windows xp professional
i hope this helps i m not very good with computers
thank u

Edited by tinae54, 23 March 2008 - 06:42 PM.

#4 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:02 AM

Try going to Start > All Programs > Limewire & click on Limewire to see if it starts that way without the message. If it does, go to the Desktop & right click on the shortcut (green lime) & choose Delete. You won't be deleting the program itself, just the shortcut. Go back to Start > All Programs > Limewire right click on Limewire & choose Send To > Desktop (create shortcut) & try again.

#5 tinae54

tinae54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:15 AM

no i have tried that still does the same i don,t understand it because it was working fine
im rely stumped now !! any other ideas please

thank u

#6 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:56 PM

Right click on the shortcut, select Properties & look under the Shortcut tab & see if these match what you see (if not, Copy/Pste what's in the quotes into the appropriate boxes):

Target: "C:\Program Files\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe"

Start In: "C:\Program Files\LimeWire"

A couple of things:

1. Just to make sure, the best place to download Limewire should be from here > Limewire.com. If you downloaded elsewhere, uninstall the version from your computer using the Start > All Programs > Limewire > Uninstall & re download from the link. Make sure you also have the latest Java installed. Go here: Free Java Download to get the lateset version. Any older versions on your computer can be removed.

2. Do you mind elaborating on what you mean by it was working fine? For example, what changes you may have made right before this started.

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:56 AM

hi i'll try and get this right i downloaded limewire through google, my anti virus are avg and windows defender
and i just wanted to download some music and movies and im on windows xp professional
i hope this helps i m not very good with computers
thank u

I think it worth just clarifying a point; you have of course read the site guidelines specifically section 4A??
it is also worth looking at limewire safety
especailly their comments on copyright infringement
windows defender, http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...re/default.mspx

from what I can see, is NOT an antivirus program and you already have avg protecting you on that front
assuming it is kept fully up to date with its definitions

I suggest , to more fully help to protect yourself , you may also wish to have on board

the FREE programs of
superantispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantis...efreevspro.html

its exe is
http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfi...ANTISPYWAREFREE

asquared http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

its free exe is

http://download6.emsisoft.com/a2FreeSetup.exe
I have a feeling you will be needing them

of interest, how well HAD limewire been working for you and what had you managed to dowload with it

from the risks you are taking with using a P2P program are you sure your computer is not already infected ??

#8 tinae54

tinae54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:48 PM

thank you so much for all your help i now have limewire up and running, i was asked what i mean't that lime wire was working i had downloaded some music and some movies but did not ever get to watch or listen to them to be honest, i don't know what im doing, a friend told me to use limewire, but i don,t know how to get the downloads onto a disc, i have only had the computer since christmas and i have never used a computer before then, my 13 yr old son showed me the basic's, but other than that i have no idea, so if anyone knows how to make things simpler for me, or any sites that will teach me more i would be very grateful
thank you again

#9 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:26 PM

Glad you got it working. For the help that you are looking for, see here:

LimeWire FAQ and User Guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users