Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Cpu

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SlikWily

SlikWily

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:10 AM

I purchased a Alienware M9700 (laptop) in Jan 07. I wanted to get a dual core cpu but they recommended Turion 64 ML-40 instead. I think it is 2.2ghz core, which seems a little slow for a single core? I am running WinXP SP2 with 2 Nvidia 7900GS Sli, and 2 GB of DDR PC3200 ram (2 sticks) Anyone know if I can upgrade this rig to a dual core? What are your thoughts on the Turion cpu?

I kind of regret buying this machine. I bought it for some of the slower turned based games so I can sit on couch and watch TV at the same time (Silent Hunter 4 is great couch game). For 3700 bucks I could have built a very nice desktop for the action games. After trying the Crysis demo I found that it this rig does not run any better the my 4 year old desktop with a P4HT 3.06, Asus 800 mhz fsb, 2 GB ram, and a single Nvidia 7600GS on AGP slot (vid card only 2 years old) built by me with help from PC gurus online.

I am not complaining about Crysis, in fact I think its great that devs finally built a game that has mind blowing graphics and needs a strong PC to run it. I am dissapointed that a 4 year old machine for 800 bucks runs as good as 1 year old rig for 3700 clams, running both PCs at the same screen res.

So what are your thoughts? Is the CPU the weak spot in my M9700?

Slik

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:16 PM

My guess would be the graphics card. As far as upgrading the cpu, its different for every laptop. Im not sure where you can buy laptop cpus, but im sure someone here knows :thumbsup: . You should be able to upgrade the cpu.

I doubt that the CPU is your bottleneck.

What GPU is in the alienware?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 SlikWily

SlikWily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:02 PM

Thanks for the reply Billy
GPU is 2(two) Nvidia 7900GS w/512mb memory each (total 1024mb) running in Sli confg

Slik

#4 SlikWily

SlikWily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:05 PM

I also forgot to ask, how do I know that the application is using both vid cards? I have checked in the box for "Enable Sli multi GPU" in the nvidia control panel. What is the "Show load balancing" box for?

Slik

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 02:35 PM

Supported chipsets: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT or greater; ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (Radeon X800 Pro for Vista) or greater. Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. Integrated chipsets are not supported. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required.

crysis and nvidia released patches and driver updates in jan

Edited by DaChew, 23 March 2008 - 02:35 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:22 PM

So what are your thoughts? Is the CPU the weak spot in my M9700?

Thats my guess.

As far as a dual core chip for your socket, thats going to be a problem.

This is the only cpu I can find that fits in your socket. And its slower:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819104245

Keep in mind, all desktop components will be faster at equivalent specs due to better cooling, as well as lack of power management features.

Good luck,

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users