Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oh Great, "program Cannot Be Unistalled" Message

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:32 AM

Groan, I downloaded a flight sim demo, didn't like it and tried to uninstall it but a message came up saying something about "uninstaller failed to initialize or is corrupted, program cannot be uninstalled".
Same message comes up regardless of whether I hit the in-program uninstall button, or the WinXPHome Add/Remove progs routine.
So thats 100Mb of useless stuff sitting on my hard drive that can't be got rid of, and I'm already short of HD space too, groan again..
Any suggestions?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 06:54 AM

The most common "fix" for this is to install the program again. Note any error messages that may crop up, then try uninstalling it. If that doesn't work, then you're in for a session of disk diving to weed out the stuff from the system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:36 AM

I just reinstalled it again on top of the old one and this message came up during the install -"You might not be able to uninstall this programme"
Huh, now it tells me..!
I then tried uninstalling again but it still won't budge.
Why can't I just grab it and sling it in the recycle bin to get rid of it?
As for weeding the files out of my system, did I mention (ha-ha nervous laugh) i'm PC-illiterate?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:39 AM

What's the name of the program and the website you got it from?

Could be malware, could be file corruption.

The only programs that I have ever seen make that kind of remark about being uninstallable...are functions of Windows (e.g., WMP, DirectX, etc.).

Louis

#5 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:19 AM

It's 'Flanker 2,0 Demo', first released about 9 years ago and I downloaded it yesterday from CNet Download.com.
I tried contacting them but there's no contact address, and there's also some small print at their site about "not being able to offer technical advice on products"..

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:19 AM

Aside from wondering why anyone would install a program like that...

Push comes to shove, you can probably use a trial edition or old version of jv16 PowerTools to eliminate it from your system...if it isn't malware. If you decide to use such, please read all instructions before taking it upon yourself to remove anything.

There are, of course, alternative ways to remove this program...

Louis

#7 Gravyola

Gravyola

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:40 AM

Sounds Like You Need Help From YOURUninstaller!. It Will Allow You To Force Uninstall Most Programs. Download It & See If The Program Your Enquiring Is There And Just Uninstall.

Edit: It Isn't Malware, Adware Etc., I Use It At Work On Customers PC All The Time.

Kfnx.

Edited by Gravyola, 23 March 2008 - 11:41 AM.

#8 JPeterman

JPeterman

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:43 AM

Just a thought here, there is Revo Uninstaller, a small freeware found here: http://www.revouninstaller.com/ but as hamluis eludes to, make sure you read all instructions, and understand them before you remove anything, also, always backup.

#9 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:55 PM

Hamluis quote - Aside from wondering why anyone would install a program like that...

Gravyola quote -sounds like you need help from YourUninstaller

JPeterman quote -there is Revo Uninstaller
--------------------------------------------------

Well call me an adrenalin-junkie but the thought of throwing a multi-million-rouble Flanker fighter-bomber all over the sky at Mach 2 kinda grabbed me..

Is 'YourUninstaller' free, or must I (excuse the nasty word) -BUY it?

I tried Revo but no joy even though it said "Flanker successfully uninstalled!". The prog is still on my system taking up a valuable 100 Mb space and all that Revo did was remove its name from the Add/Remove list, a bit like removing Bush's nameplate from the White House, he still resides there nameplate or no nameplate..

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 23 March 2008 - 10:59 PM.

#10 Gravyola

Gravyola

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:01 AM

Yes Mick', The Trial Version Is Free. I Just Checked Because I Use A Portable Version On My Memory Stick Which Is The Full Version. I'm Not Sure What You Can Do With Trial In Terms Of Usage Or Trial Timers Etc.

Can I Ask, Is The Game Still In Program Files & Start > All Programs?

#11 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:09 AM

You could always try Uninstall Plus! It is a program that is available on a trial basis HERE. I use it regularly and like it. Not only will it start a specific program's uninstaller, but then it will search the registry for any traces of the deleted program.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#12 Gravyola

Gravyola

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:16 AM

Albert, All Uninstallation Programs I Know Of Search Registry Files For Files Related To The Program Installed..

#13 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:18 AM

Gravyola quote - Can I Ask, Is The Game Still In Program Files & Start > All Programs?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roger that, that's how I know it's still on my system. It even plays too. (Pity its crap or i'd keep it)
And it's also in the Windows Explorer listings.
But its not in the Add/Remove list.

#14 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:52 PM

Hi MickinPlymouthUK,

Here's another option:

Do a Windows search in Safe Mode, and delete the Flanker 2,0 Demo program entries.
If there is more than one entry, you may have to try deleting the entries in different sequences.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#15 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:33 AM

Okay guys my panics over, kill that klaxon, I got rid of it at last by trying every suggestion under the sun, I think 'Uninstall Plus' was the one that finally cracked it.
I once had a wart on the knuckle of my index finger and I used to do everything I could think of to get rid of it - holding it in boiling water,and in iced water, sticking pins in it, passing an electric current through it,sandpapering it, rubbing glue, vinegar, paraffin, etc into it, slicing bits off with a razor, until it eventually called it quits and just vanished.
The Flanker program has apparently just given up for the same reason thanks to the merciless hammering we've been giving it..
Hey rogue programs, you better not mess wiv us,

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users