Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Process Identification

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TomMc

TomMc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:53 AM

I'm trying to determine what the process codes refer to on my system. I browsed the glossary and a few of the tutorials here, but my computer skills are very limited and I would appreciate some guidance. I'll do the homework if someone could point me in the right direction. I'm using a 2 year old HP Pavilion a1210n Media Center PC, running on XP Home. I have Internet Explorer that I rarely use, and mainly use Mozilla Firefox for a browser. I use Trend PC-cillin Pro for security, if that makes a difference.
I have been told that I have way to many processes running (52) and I should get rid of a lot of them to improve performance. As I mentioned, my computer skills are very limited and I basically use my system for Internet construction forums, E-mail, trying to learn some Autocad, and picture files for magazine tool reviews that I write.
My question is; How do I determine which processes are unnecessary. I know how to get to the Task Manager, but all the processes and their functions are in codes I don't understand. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

TomMc

Edited by TomMc, 23 March 2008 - 11:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 06:35 AM

In the Process tab of Task Manager will be a list of the processes currently running on your system. Start by looking them up in the Bleeping Computer Startup List (located at the top of the page, or at this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/ ). If you still don't know,
Google for the name of the process to see what it is (be advised that many places will suggest that it could be a virus) and see what function that process provides. If you're uncertain, post back here with the name of the process and we can go from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 TomMc

TomMc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for the reply John. I looked up the first 8 of the 52 processes running but they seem to have slightly different names assigned to the files, ie. System, on many of them. I've noticed people posting entire screens here, but I couldn't figure out how to cut and paste my Task Manager screen. Would that be of any help?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:26 PM

Download and execute this free program: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx
Once open, click on the File menu and select "Save as". That'll save a text file with the process names (and a lot of other info also). You can copy/paste the info from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users