Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot Xp Home / Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BlackLion2837

BlackLion2837

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:27 PM

I am trying to set up a dual boot option with XP Home and XP Pro. I have 2 drives with a primary and logical on each. The first drive is SATA-II and the second drive is an IDE. On the BIOS boot order I have the SATA-II (XP Home) to boot before the IDE (XP Pro) drive.

XP Home - Drive 1 Primary
Data - Drive 1 Logical
XP Pro - Drive 2 Primary
Backup Images - Drive 2 Logical

I have been searching on how to edit my boot.ini file so I have a choice of which XP version to boot into but haven't had much luck. This is my current boot.ini (from XP Home partition):

[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

How do I edit the boot.ini file to allow me a choice between Home and Pro?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Antec P182
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Q9550 2.83GHz
2x2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800
eVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC Edition 896MB
Corsair 1000W PSU
WD 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jaheebajizzle

Jaheebajizzle

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:38 PM

[codebox][boot loader]
timeout=20
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition"/fastdetect
[/codebox]
I'm pretty sure that's how it would go. It's been a while. :thumbsup:
The new entry might not go as planned. As long as you don't mess with the first one, you should be able to boot back in and troubleshoot the file again.

Edited by Jaheebajizzle, 22 March 2008 - 07:39 PM.

"When I was an Alien... Cultures weren't opinions." - Kurt Cobain

#3 BlackLion2837

BlackLion2837
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:02 PM

Close, but I think somethings missing...

When I restarted the option was there, but I couldn't select it...wouldn't let me arrow down. When I booted into Home, Start>Run>msconfig>BOOT.INI tab and check the boot paths, I get a message saying that the second line doesn't point to a valid OS.

Definitely farther than I got though.
Antec P182
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Q9550 2.83GHz
Corsair 1000W PSU
WD 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s

#4 Jaheebajizzle

Jaheebajizzle

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:06 PM

Sorry about that. Been quite a while since I did this.
Let's try this again:
For the bottom line put
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition"/fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Edited by Jaheebajizzle, 22 March 2008 - 08:06 PM.

#5 BlackLion2837

BlackLion2837
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:04 PM

Same message when checking boot paths (msconfig) same result, straight to XP Home. Also, don't know if this is relevant or not, but it won't let me hit ENTER from the options menu while XP Home is selected.

Found an example of XP / 2K dual boot boot.ini example

Disk mgt shows:
- Disk 0 : F drive = W2K Adv Server (marked 'System') and my boot files are in the root of F.
- Disk 1 : C drive = XP (marked 'Boot')

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server" /fastdetect

My disk management shows:

Disk 0 - (F:) XP Pro  |  (G:) BackUp Images
Disk 1 - (C:) XP Home  |  (D:) Data

Edited by BlackLion2837, 22 March 2008 - 09:11 PM.

Antec P182
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Q9550 2.83GHz
Corsair 1000W PSU
WD 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s

#6 Jaheebajizzle

Jaheebajizzle

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:46 PM

I'm not sure why it won't recognize the OS. :thumbsup: That's never happened to me before.
I must be missing something here...
Are you sure we have the correct partition for the drive selected?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:56 PM

You don't have to edit the boot.ini file, that should be done automatically when the second O/S is installed.

Louis

#8 BlackLion2837

BlackLion2837
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 02:36 AM

I had XP Home installed, installed the 2nd drive, put in my XP Pro disk, restarted, created two partitions on the second drive, installed XP Pro to the first partition. During the install, it restarted once and booted directly into XP Pro to complete the installation. I installed some drivers of the mobo disk and manually restarted. That time it booted directly into XP Home without giving me an option to boot into XP Pro.

Here is a screenshot of my disk management page in XP Home: http://vnvgamers.com/images/diskmgmt.jpg
Antec P182
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Q9550 2.83GHz
Corsair 1000W PSU
WD 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 06:52 AM

Try using your BIOS to change your boot order to boot to the second drive (the one with XP Pro installed) - does XP Pro boot then? If so, then it would most likely be that there separate MBR's/boot sectors for each OS.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 BlackLion2837

BlackLion2837
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:59 AM

That's it, when I changed the boot order XP Pro came right up. Would making each boot.ini file identical allow the choice between the two? Would I be better off getting a boot manager from sourceforge.net? Since they both have their own MBR's is this even possible?

Thanks
Antec P182
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Q9550 2.83GHz
Corsair 1000W PSU
WD 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:23 PM

Well, it seems to me that it'd be easiest to just use the boot order key in your BIOS to change this when you want to boot to the other OS. Let us know the make of your system (or the mobo if it's a custom build) and we may be able to suggest a keyboard shortcut for this.

If that's not possible, then you may be able to use the Recovery Console and the "bootcfg /rebuild" command to fix it. But I'm not 100% sure, as I'd have also figured that the boot.ini mods above would have fixed it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 BlackLion2837

BlackLion2837
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:10 PM

I am getting ready to try and change both of the boot.ini files to make them identical to see if that may work. Here is my mobo make/model:

DFI LanParty UT Ultra-D
Antec P182
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Q9550 2.83GHz
Corsair 1000W PSU
WD 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users