Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dedicated Graphics Specs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nat

nat

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:00 PM

I'm looking for help and advice on buying a laptop that is the most suitable for Graphics / Photography / Media / Audio etc. I have an HP 2500 with Linux and Vista dual-boot and need a separate laptop for my photography. Top of the range if price is not an issue.
Additionally - Large Format Printer (especially for Canvas printing) and a very good Scanner (with Negative scanning)
Thanks

Nat :thumbsup:

XP Professional FIrefox 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Noot

Noot

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:34 AM

Hey Nat!

For your needs for a laptop, I'd suggest something with a lot of RAM (2GB and higher) and a big processor (duel core 2 GHz). It also depends on if you're going to work on large scale pieces or normal. If you are going to work on something large scale and printing it out, I'd suggest RAM of 3 GB or higher and a dual core of at least 2.4 to 2.5 GHz.

A large scale printer, there is one by Epson that I used when I was in college. It's called the Epson Stylus and prints graphics and photography very very well. It is expensive, but it's very worth buying if photography is your thing.

With a scanner for negative printing, I'm not too knowledgeable on those, so you might have to just google "negative scanning". I saw quite a few places that will do it for you.

If there is anything else I can help you with or explain more, let me know. :thumbsup:
Good luck!
Posted Image

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving
that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority."
E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

#3 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:56 PM

For your needs for a laptop, I'd suggest something with a lot of RAM (2GB and higher) and a big processor (duel core 2 GHz). It also depends on if you're going to work on large scale pieces or normal. If you are going to work on something large scale and printing it out, I'd suggest RAM of 3 GB or higher and a dual core of at least 2.4 to 2.5 GHz.

Hi Noot - Interesting name ??!!

Thanks so much for your response - I have posted the same question before on other sites such as Yahoo Answers and have basically got nowhere - so your info is much appreciated.

As far as RAM/system info goes, I have:

HP Pavillion Laptop 2500 series Dual Core Intel® Core Duo CPU T7300 @2.00GHz
Memory RAM 1014 MB
System: 32-bit

In all honesty, this RAM and GHz etc just is beyond my knowledge. !! So if I have 1014 MB, that equals just under 1GB (1024MB = 1GB) .....????

And you suggest at least 3GB and 2.4 to 2.5 GHz. Ok.

So, the above info pertains only to my current laptop, and serves as a guide to what I have and what I will need..!!

I am hoping to set up my own small business in photography - but not commercial. I have a passion for African tribes, Wildlife (as in not caged for tourists!!), beautiful sweeping landscapes, sunsets, and basically anything that is not posed or otherwise not natural.

My idea, wistful tho it may be, is to create a collection of my african photos and print and display them on canvas, much like an oil painting.

So as you mentioned, I will be working with large format, which basically means that I need a (large) processor,a (large) printer, and a (large) scanner that can handle A3 and larger. All of which need to be og high standard......(of course !!)

I know it's not going to be a cheap undertaking, but, as they say, you have to put in the bucks to make the bucks (or in my case, South African rands, well, to begin with at least. (I'm actually from the UK and moved here 9 years ago, and I still think in british pounds!!)

I see that you live in New York and you are an internet geek. Love it ! I love New York, although I have only been there a couple of times. If I'm correct, it's now 10pm Monday March 24th for me, so that means it's 4pm same day for you - (6hrs behind south african time).

I'm about to check into the web sites you gave me. - I usually stay with what I know - HP and Canon, but am always open to other prospects.

Ideally I am after computers, printers, scanners etc that are the best for grapics/photos - on a large format basis. As is, I can only print A4, which is obviously very frustrating. Also expensive on ink, paper etc.

Inkjet or Laser ? I currently have a Canon MP510 printer, copier, scanner. It's ok, but just ok - not for large scale and not for everyday useage. I've been experimenting with canvas printing, and I have to say that my printer handles it fairly well.

Tech wise, I'm not 100%, so need help with the Tech side of everything - as you mentioned, GB GHz etc. Your help, by the way, is much appreciated, and if there is perhaps anything that i can help you with, then I'm more than happy to assist. Although not totally tech minded, I'm what I would call a "software geek" - and that's not just with pc's.

If you don't mind me asking, what was it that you studied at college that involved large format graphic equipment etc ?

Would you happen to know of where I can get a fully detailed table of the metric/imperial length conversions. As in, I simply want a table that lists what A4, B6, A5, A3 is in mm, inches AND cm. It seems that everywhere lists the metric (mm/inch) but not the imperial (cm) . My computer, printer, photo paper, other photo edit software etc etc etc omit the centimeters conversion. I have a ruler that has mm and cm, but not inch's,.and all i really want is all 3 !!! It just seems so difficult to find a table that simply lists all sizes. ......

A4 = 210x297mm = 8.27x11.69 inches = ? ? ? centimeters. ???
A6 = 105x148 mm = 4.13x5.83 inches = ? ? ? centimeters ???

Sorry, seem to have written an essay here !!

Thanks so much for your help and as I said, if I can help you in return...

Cheers
Nat

P.S Would you be open to direct emailing or IM ?

XP Professional FIrefox 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users