Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multi-pc Failure

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 alaskamounds

alaskamounds

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:55 PM

I am having 2 different problems with 2 different computers.

Problem number one.

My generic home built computer was working fine for weeks. I unplugged it to move it across the room, and when i plugged it back in, it would not boot up. At first, when i pushed the power button, the processor, power unit, and case fans came on for about 2 seconds, then everything shut down. I unplugged and reseated all of the components, including the processor, and tried again. Now, when i press the power button, the fans come on, and stay on, but nothing else happens. none of the drive lights come on. in fact, the only light that does come on is the power light on the front. i have tried a different power supply unit, with the same results. i'm not sure what processor i have in it, as it is a home built computer that was given to me.

Problem number 2.

A gateway computer that was given to me about a year ago, with the same specifications as above (i know nothing about the specs) has been sitting in my basement. When the first computer stopped working, i went down and got it, hooked the power supply to the board, and booted it up. It ran fine for about a minute, then shut down. Now, when i press the power button, nothing happens at all. no lights, no fans, nothing. tried a different power supply, with the same result. i let it sit for about an hour, and when i tried the button again, it started for maybe 5 seconds, then shut down again.

I'm pretty much at the end of my knowledge with both of these machines.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:40 PM

Hi & welcome to BC!

Something appears to have come loose or is not seated properly.
Open the case. Try removing and reseating the video cards on both systems if they are not integrated.
Push on all cabling for the hard drive cdroms and on the motherboard side as well

Any beeps when the system tries to post?
If so, count them and post back

Im thinking something just came loose in the move.

Edited by Eyesee, 22 March 2008 - 07:44 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 squall_1981

squall_1981

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:47 AM

Just a thought. You might want to check the voltage running from the wall outlet. Should be somewhere between 100-120. Too much will mess your system up good, too little will just not be enough to run the computers.

#4 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:57 AM

Don't have time right now to think on the first comp. but the gateway, open it up, clean it out then boot it up with the case open. make sure the fans are all working, namely the one on the CPU.

#5 Deemo Diablo

Deemo Diablo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 04:12 AM

I would like to contribute a little to Squall 1981's suggestion:

Once you confirm 110-125V on your outlet, ensure that the outlet isn't on the same leg as a refrigerator, window A/C unit, dryer or any other major appliance as they have a nasty habit of feeding some really bad stuff down the line that will do a number on your computer. I would get technical here, but I really don't have the time or the space. :thumbsup:

I don't suspect anything became unseated here in either case 1 or case 2 since you got the same result from two different computers.

Power surges, sags, harmonic distortion, line noise, etc. could all over time destroy your computer. Fortunately the power supply acts as a line conditioner but it can only handle so much before it fails. Ensure you constantly monitor your outlet for power surges, and as a side note (because I've seen this happen) check any devices you might have plugged into your computer via RJ45 patch (Network Cable) such as a cable modem, router, switch... Sometimes a short in this device can send a fatal voltage down the patch cable and directly into your motherboard.

Good luck!

Deemo Diablo

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:53 AM

Could be the power cord. Try another one. Also try a lamp or something in the plug you are using for the computer.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 alaskamounds

alaskamounds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:46 PM

update.

computer number 2 is running fine now. it just spontaneously decided to work. I still have some video card issues, but that is software, not hardware. i just need to find the drivers. no biggie.

computer number one is exactly the same as before. i have reseated EVERYTHING. every connection inside that case has been taken apart, canned air..ed?, and reseated. no change. I have tried both computers on the same circuit, and the first computer worked in that outlet for a month, and the second one has been working when i plug it in there, and anything else i plug into it works just fine. The entire time it has been plugged in it has been through a surge protector. I thought it might be a bad power supply, so i took the power supply out of computer number 2 after it started working, plugged it into computer 1, with the exact same results. so I have ruled out ANY bad connection, bad power supply, and bad voltage. anything else?

also, i do not think i properly relayed what was happening with the first computer when i posted before. since i have tried to move it, the only thing that came on were the fans. the way i worded it before seemed like the processor and power unit worked, but thats not the case. the fans for those components came on, and thats all.

also, the only way electricity was getting to was through the power cord. all of my devices are wireless.

Edited by alaskamounds, 28 March 2008 - 03:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users