Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Build - Non-gaming Amd - Any Suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bat5454

Bat5454

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:34 PM

Okay - I think I'm gonna go ahead & build my next computer, my first build.

This is what I'm looking at, for a basic non-gaming family box - all at Newegg:

Motherboard: BIOSTAR TFORCE TF520-A2 AM2 NVIDIA nForce 520 MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Brisbane 2.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

CPU cooler: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 532 RC-532-SKN1 Black Aluminum bezel, SECC chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC ATX 430W Power Supply 115/ 230 V

Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Do I need a video card? If so I was looking at this one:

ASUS EN7200GS/HTD/256M GeForce 7200GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Whats the difference between buying something 'retail' vs. OEM? Like if I bought XP OEM instead of 'retail' ?

thanks mucho
BT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 06:25 PM

Retail comes in a pretty box with all the paperwork
OEM comes in a black plastic bag
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 02:17 AM

I think everything you've got up there is pretty good, although the RAM is a bit pricey, for the fact that I know you can easily get a 2GB stick for less than 50$, and its only on one stick, allowing more room for upgrades. Personally, I would want a better processor, but its probably fine. Also, the video card is probably worth it, because its so cheap, and will take all the graphics load off of your processor then.

I don't think i could do much better for a really cheap AMD based system.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#4 Deemo Diablo

Deemo Diablo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 04:56 AM

The motherboard isn't in stock. If you don't mind waiting for it, then all is good.

The processor is decent, especially for a non-gaming computer.

The extra heatsink is unnecessary unless you bought an OEM processor. The difference here as far as processors is concerned is that OEM is processor only and retail is processor plus heatsink and some papers in a pretty box. But your heatsink comes with your processor in this case so you can ditch that extra heatsink unless you really want it.

50 bucks for 2GB of DDR2 800 seems fair.

The case looks nice. The steel construction will facilitate sound reduction but hinder thermal efficiency. But you have nothing to worry about here as far as excessive heat goes.

The power supply should be sufficient. I run a thermaltake power supply myself and am happy with it.

The hard drive is good. Especially with the free shipping :smile: It doesn't come with a cable because it's OEM, but your motherboard does so you're still good there.

And finally, your 7200GS will be sufficient if you plan on putting Vista on your new build. It is necessary since the motherboard you listed does not have any integrated video output.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 05:28 AM

I won't waste my time building with biostar anymore
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 Bat5454

Bat5454
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:23 AM

THanks everyone -

I didn't notice the motherboard was out of stock - does anyone have a suggestion for something similar, around $100 or less?

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:42 AM

finding a decent board like asus w/o onboard video and having the decent extras and OC options is a challenge, I usually try to buy last years models, hopefully the price has dropped and they have got the bugs out

do you have any candidates

gigabyte is supposed to make a good board
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users