Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I Infected?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 paige3663

paige3663

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:43 PM

Yesterday i started noticing my computer was doing something funny.
I often check my recent docs in start menu just to see what my kid has opened etc
Then I delete some to clean it up
But when I deleted them it just replaced it with others
I tried deleting every single one viewed
Then when I looked again there were a bunch more
I tried this many times- deleting them all
only to go back and see a bunch more in the list as if someone is opening documents
I tried a few times running Trend and it wouldnt work right for me

So in installed and ran (Free) avg and it ran properly and didnt find anything
Still i cant explain why my computer is looking like documents, pics etc are being viewed
So I ran panda & this is what panda found (other than cookies):

Potentially unwanted tool:Application/Playmp3z Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Lynn\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\8VRN28PT\PLAY_MP3[1].exe

I looked it up and it says:

Brief Description
Playmp3z belongs to the category of Potentially Unwanted Programs, also known as PUPs.

PUPs are programs that, due to their features or means of distribution, can affect users' consent, awareness or control over operations like:

Installation.
Modifications carried out on the computer.
Behavior of the program.
Processing of personal data.
Uninstallation.
The evaluation criteria of PUPs are based on the proposals suggested by the Anti-Spyware Coalition, organization of which Panda Security is a member.

Playmp3z does not spread automatically using its own means. It needs an attacking user's intervention in order to reach the affected computer. The means of transmission used include, among others, floppy disks, CD-ROMs, email messages with attached files, Internet downloads, FTP, IRC channels, peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing networks, etc.

There have been 2 new things installed on computer in last 48 hrs or so
But from NEW software.
My daughter got a Sims 2 computer game and a Sansa MP3 player- new from store.

So that shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks in advance for help
"The true measure of a man is not how he behaves in time of comfort and convenience but how he stands at time of controversy and challenge" Martin Luther King

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:30 PM

Hello and welcome to bleeping computer.
I have faced the same promblem, everytime I try deleting a file it just comes back with more, and if I try to delete the whole file it says "access denied". If you have the same promblem with the access denied please read the instructions below if that still doesn't help please download Unlocker.

1.First, close any programs that may be using that file.
2.Reboot your computer. When you reboot your computer, it will shut down any opened programs.
3.Reboot your computer into safe mode and then try to rename or delete the folder/file.
4.If that still doesn't work please download unlocking utility. Here is the linkUnlocker

Once you have downloaded it follow the following instructions:
  • once it is download onto your desktop double clik the file to start the setup
  • Continue to click Next untill you see the choose component sections
  • put a checkmark on: check for updates, explorer extension and assisstant
  • Now click install and when it's finish click finish
  • Now go back to the file you were trying to delete.
  • delete it and if it still says cannot delete then Unlocker should automatically appear
  • Once you see Unlocker appear, at the bottom click unlock
  • Now try deleting the file again it should work now

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,612 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:17 PM

There have been 2 new things installed on computer in last 48 hrs or so
But from NEW software.
My daughter got a Sims 2 computer game and a Sansa MP3 player- new from store.

Often when you purchase software, it comes bundled with other software that installs without your knowledge or consent, especially if you don't read the license agreement.

These detections do not necessarily mean the file is malware or a bad program. It means it has the potential for being misused by others. Anti-virus scanners cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert you or even automatically remove them.

Many such programs can be uninstalled by using Add/Remove Programs so check there. Click on Start > Settings > Control Panel and double-click on Add/Remove Programs. From within Add/Remove Programs uninstall questionable programs by highlighting them and selecting Remove. You need to start there first.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users